Adapted from Martha Stewart
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 tablespoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
8 ounces fresh strawberries (about 8-10 medium/large strawberries, finely diced
1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing tops
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut butter into flour mixture until the largest pieces are the size of peas. Stir in strawberries and zest.
3. Using a fork, whisk together cream and eggs in a liquid measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in cream mixture. Stir lightly with a fork just until dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead a few times to mix well.
4. Lightly flour a 8-inch round baking pan. Press the dough evenly, but gently into the baking pan. Invert pan onto a lightly floured work surface and allow dough to release. (You’ll probably have to slam it down on the counter a few times to get it to come out.) Using a floured knife, cut the circle into 8 wedges. Transfer to prepared baking sheets.
5. Brush tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Allow to cool on pan for several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2011/04/strawberry-scones.html
Back to Recipe Home Page