Adapted from Honey & Jam
Makes one 10-inch pie
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons shortening, cut into small cubes
4 teaspoons ice water
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
1 egg, beaten
16 ounces fresh strawberries, sliced
3 tablespoons honey, plus more for drizzling
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, and salt until combined. Using a pastry cutter, add shortening and chilled butter and cut into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir together ice water and vinegar. Making a well in the center of the flour mixture, add liquid, stirring until dough comes together and holds together when squeezed. If mixture is too dry, add additional water, a half teaspoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
2. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least an hour.
3. While crust is chilling, make filling: In a medium bowl, toss sliced strawberries with honey and balsamic vinegar to coat. Let stand for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Right before assembling the galette, drain the liquid from the strawberries.
4. Assemble: Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out dough to 1/8-inches thick, about 14 inches around. Gently transfer crust to the center of the prepared baking sheet. Mound strawberries in the center of the dough, spreading about 2 inches from the edge. Fold edges of dough over strawberries, overlapping where necessary. Brush the top of the dough with egg and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
5. Bake until dough is golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Drizzle with extra honey before slicing.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Back to Recipe Home Page