Adapted from The Williams-Sonoma Baking Book
Makes 36 cupcakes
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups buttermilk
¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup plus ¼ cup cold water
1 cup sugar
36 chocolate squares (for decoration)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 3 standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, on medium speed beat butter until smooth. Add brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 additions, beating until just combined.
5. Divide batter between pans. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of graham cracker crumbs over the tops of each cup. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. While cupcakes are cooling, make marshmallow. In a mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 cup of water. Allow gelatin to soften for 5 minutes.
7. Heat remaining ¼ cup water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Stop stirring; clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Boil syrup until it reaches the soft ball stage (238F), brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming. Remove from heat; add syrup to softened gelatin. Whisk mixture by hand until cooled, about 1 minute, then use an electric mixer to whisk on medium-high speed until soft, glossy (but not dry) peaks have formed, 8 to 10 minutes. Use immediately (frosting will harden).
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2010/07/smores-cupcakes-redux.html
Back to Recipe Home Page