Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches
Adapted from Let’s Dish
Makes about 12 sandwiches
1 box (18.25 ounces) Red Velvet cake mix
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1. Make cookies: Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix and flour, breaking up any large clumps of cake mix.
3. Add in oil and eggs and mix until combined.
4. Using a spoon or a 1-inch cookie scoop, scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough. Roll into a ball and place on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake, rotating pans halfway through for 8 to 10 minutes or until the tops are puffed and slightly cracked. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet about 3 to 5 minutes, or until cookies have deflated slightly. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
6. Make filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of milk, beating until combined.
7. Add confectioner’s sugar and beat until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure all ingredients are incorporated, and beat on medium high speed for another minute or until frosting is light and fluffy. If frosting is too thick, add another teaspoon of milk and beat until combined.
8. Spoon or pipe about 1 to 2 tablespoons of frosting into the middle of bottom of one cookie. Top with a cookie of the same size and press gently to push frosting to the edge of the cookies.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2012/02/red-velvet-sandwich-cookies.html
Back to Recipe Home Page