Adapted from Love and Olive Oil
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
3. In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin, oil, sugar, soy milk, and vanilla. Add flour mixture, gently whisking by hand until just combined. Don’t use an electric mixer or over mix the batter as it may become too gummy.
4. Fill liners with 1/4 cup batter (cups should be approximately 2/3 full). Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
Cinnamon Rum Frosting
Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature*
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon dark rum (I used Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch of salt
milk, as needed to thin*
*Note: To make vegan cupcakes, substitute margarine or vegan butter and use soy milk to thin.
1. In a medium bowl, sift together confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon.
2. Using an electric or stand mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add rum and pinch of salt and mix until combined.
3. Add confectioners’ sugar mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well between additions. Continue to beat until light and fluffy. If frosting is too thick, add a bit of milk to thin it out (start with a teaspoon at a time). If too thin, add more sugar and continue to beat until it is the right consistency. Spoon into a piping bag or just slather it right onto the cupcakes.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2009/11/pumpkin-spice-cupcakes-with-cinnamon.html
Back to Recipe Home Page