Adapted from Food Network and Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
1 cup sugar
1 cup real mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup, plus ¼ cup cold water
1 cup sugar
Sanding sugar (optional)
24 Peeps marshmallow treats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard muffin tins with cupcake papers.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and mayonnaise until blended. Add the vanilla extract and blend.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the mayonnaise mixture in 3 batches alternating with the buttermilk.
4. Divide the batter among the prepared pans, filling each cup 2/3 full (about 2 tablespoons worth of batter). Bake for 18 minutes, or until the tops are firm and spring back when lightly touched. Cool in tins for 10 minutes. Remove from tins and place on wire rack to cool completely.
5. Once cupcakes are cooled, make frosting: In a mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 cup of water. Allow gelatin to soften for 5 minutes.
6. Heat remaining ¼ cup water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Stop stirring; clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Boil syrup until it reaches the soft ball stage (238F), brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming. Remove from heat; add syrup to softened gelatin. Whisk mixture by hand until cooled, about 1 minute, and then use an electric mixer to whisk on medium-high speed until soft, glossy (but not dry) peaks have formed, 8 to 10 minutes. Use immediately (frosting will harden). Place sanding sugar in a shallow bowl; set aside.
7. Fill pastry bag with frosting and pipe medium sized dollops onto cooled cupcakes. Turn cupcake upside down into the bowl of sanding sugar, rotating to coat frosting. Turn right side up, and pipe a small dot of frosting onto the bottom of a Peep marshmallow treat. Center Peep onto frosting, pushing down slightly to help frosting spread to the edges.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2010/04/peeps-cupcakes.html
Back to Recipe Home Page