Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine October 2011
Makes 16 slices
1 ½ cups yellow or white cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1 to 2 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9x9 inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, buttermilk, eggs, and honey.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to cornmeal mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until combined.
5. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish and smooth top. Bake until top is lightly golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes*. Let pan cool on a wire rack about 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
*Note: Both times I've made this cornbread I had to bake it longer than the instructed time. Checking it at 20 minutes, the top was starting to brown, but the center was completely raw still. At 25 minutes, the top was a beautiful golden color, but the center was still undercooked and jiggly. To keep it from browning more, I covered it with foil and baked it for another 3 minutes.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2012/01/cornbread.html
Back to Recipe Home Page