Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes with Cinnamon Rum Frosting
Adapted from Martha Stewart Cupcakes
Makes about 30 cupcakes
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 ¼ cups malted milk powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons spiced rum
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat 350F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk and malted milk powder, until powder is dissolved.
2. With an electric mixer on medium-high, beat flour mixture, milk mixture, and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add sour cream and vanilla, beating until combined.
3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about halfway (using 2 tablespoons of batter). Bake rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted into a cake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. While cupcakes are cooling, make frosting: In a medium bowl, sift together confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon.
5. Using an electric or stand mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add rum and pinch of salt and mix until combined.
6. Add confectioners’ sugar mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well between additions. Continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2010/08/chocolate-cupcake-trials.html
Back to Recipe Home Page