Cherry Peach Galette with Cornmeal Crust
Adapted from Epicurious and The Vanilla Bean Blog
Makes 4 individual 4-inch galettes or 1 large 12-inch galette
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into cubes
4 teaspoons ice water
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 egg, beaten, for brushing
1 tablespoon raw sugar, for sprinkling
1 pound peaches (2 medium), peeled, pitted, and sliced into ½-inch slices
½ pound sweet cherries, stemmed, pitted, and chopped in half
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Make crust: In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt until well combined. Using a pastry cutter, add shortening and chilled butter and cut into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir together ice water and vinegar. Making a well in the center of the flour mixture, add liquid, stirring until dough comes together and holds together when squeezed. If mixture is too dry, add additional water, a half teaspoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
2. Turn dough out onto clean work surface, pat into a disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill dough in refrigerator until cold, at least an hour.
3. Make filling: In a medium bowl, stir together sliced peaches, chopped cherries, granulated sugar, and vanilla bean paste until well combined.
4. Assemble: Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. If making individual galettes, divide chilled dough into 4 pieces. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick, about 6 inches around for individual galettes or about 14 inches for a large galette. Gently transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. Mound filling in the center of the dough, spreading to about an inch from the edge for individuals or 2 inches from the edge for large. Fold edges over filling, overlapping and pleating every couple inches around. Return to refrigerator and chill for another 20 minutes. Once chilled, brush dough with beaten egg. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
5. Bake, rotating pan(s) halfway through until dough is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2013/09/cherry-peach-galette-with-cornmeal-crust.html
Back to Recipe Home Page