Blackberry Crumble Bars
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Makes about 24 bars
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Zest of 1 lemon
½ cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups fresh blackberries (two 6oz packages)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9x13 pan or glass baking dish; set aside.
2. Make dough: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in lemon zest. Using a pastry cutter, blend in cold butter until it resembles coarse meal (Some of the butter will look like peas, and others will be like flakes of oatmeal.). Using the pastry cutter or a fork, blend in egg until mixture is moistened but still a bit crumbly. Divide dough in half. Pat half of the dough into an even layer in the prepared baking pan; set the other half aside.
3. In another large bowl, mix together the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Gently mix in blackberries, tossing to coat. Spread blackberry mixture evenly over crust.
4. With remaining dough, add the brown sugar and cinnamon, mixing until well combined. Crumble the dough over the blackberries.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden and the berry mixture is bubbling at the edges. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Per serving (1 bar): 216 calories; 8g fat; 3g protein; 34g carbs
*estimate based on nutritional information provided by myfitnesspal.com
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2012/04/blackberry-crumble-bars.html
Back to Recipe Home Page