BBQ Chicken Pizza
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Makes four 10 to 12-inch pizzas
1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1 ½ cups warm water (about 110F)
4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling on crust
1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing on crust
¼ cup honey
Toppings: (per medium-sized pizza)
1 chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons BBQ sauce, divided
1 ½ to 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 small red onion, chopped (optional)
2 to 3 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
a couple sprigs of fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
1. Prepare crust: Sprinkle yeast over warm water and let stand for a few minutes.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together flour and salt. On low speed, drizzle in olive oil, then honey until combined with flour. Pour in the yeast mixture and mix until just combined and the dough comes together and pulls away from the side of the bowl, but is still slightly sticky to the touch. (Mine needed about 2 tablespoons more flour to finally pull away from the bowl. Add a tablespoon at a time until it comes together.)
3. Coat a large bowl with olive oil or cooking spray. Transfer the dough to the bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 to 2 hours, or refrigerator up to several days, until ready to use.
4. About 15 minutes before you’re ready to bake the pizza, cook the chicken. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook until chicken is opaque and cooked through. In the last minute of cooking, add 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce to chicken and stir to coat evenly. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 450F. Spray a baking sheet or pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
6. Turn pizza dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 4 pieces (1/4 of the dough will make a medium sized 10-inch pizza. Divide into thirds for a large pizza, or half for an extra large pizza.)
7. Roll out or stretch one piece of pizza dough to desired shape and size on prepared baking pan. Drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil on top of the crust and brush on with a pastry brush or spread with your fingers. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the crust.
8. Spread about 3 tablespoons of BBQ sauce over the top of the crust in a thin layer, leaving about a ½-inch around the edge of the crust clear. Sprinkle cooked chicken evenly across the crust and top with cheese. If desired, sprinkle red onion and/or bacon crumbles on top of the cheese.
9. Bake pizza until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly, about 10 to 12 minutes. (I baked mine for 12, and the toppings were a little too browned for my liking.) Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Let stand for about 2 minutes before slicing and serving.
Per serving (1 slice from medium 10-inch pizza): 226 calories; 10.5 g fat; 11.8 g protein; 21 g carbs
*an estimate based on nutritional information provided by myfitnesspal.com
Brought to you by The Busty Baker (http://www.bustybaker.com)
Original Post: http://ladolcivita.blogspot.com/2012/03/bbq-chicken-pizza.html
Back to Recipe Home Page