Principal's Welcome !

Principal's Welcome!
Welcome to our beautiful school!

We are in the process of updating our layout and adding extra storage to our website.

Cullen National School is in the townland of Mullaghroe, to the north of Cullen village in the Parish of Millstreet.
Our Parish Priest is Canon John Fitzgerald. 
We are in the Millstreet Pastoral Area (now known as the Duhallow / Sliabh Luachra Pastoral Area).
Our school is under the Roman Catholic patronage of Bishop Ray Browne in the Diocese of Kerry.
Our Chairperson of our Board of Management is Mr.Alan Mooney, 
retired Principal of St.James The Less Roman Catholic Primary School in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.

Cullen, in Cork north west, is just off the N72, approximately half way between Mallow and Killarney, a mere six miles on the Cork side of the border from Co.Kerry. 
Cullen NS is in a south facing, grassy, pasture land site sheltered to the north and east with rows of mature, majestic oak trees.
We are opposite The Church Of The Nativity of The Blessed Virgin Mary.
We are close to Cullen Community Centre and GAA football pitch and grounds,
both fantastic amenities on our doorstep.
We are overlooked, to the south by Clara Mountain in Millstreet, 
to the west, by Caherbarnagh Mountain on the Cork/Kerry border and 
further on westwards by The Paps Mountains in Co.Kerry. 

We are in an ultra modern school campus complete with state of the art facilities, which our pupils thoroughly enjoy and derive much benefit from ! 
This is our idyllic, heavenly, magnificent, brand new, 5 star school building which opened on 1st September 2011, which we are all, immensely proud of !
Our school building is architecturally designed, south facing, spacious, cosy, warm and filled with natural light.

We have 4 south facing classrooms, all with large, south facing windows, each kitted out with state of the art IT facilities, fast fibre broadband, separate SEN work stations complete with counter worktops at the bottom of each room, ensuite toilet facilities, wet areas and sensor lighting.
We also have 3 Special Education rooms, a staffroom, Secretary's office which interlinks with a separate Principal's office, ancillary facilities & multiple storage areas.

The real jewel in our crown is our south facing, dual aspect, deluxe general purpose hall - complete with overhead ceiling heaters and an adjoining kitchen servery which allows us to serve refreshments when we host school functions.
Everyday, at both breaktimes, all pupils in all classes assemble here (before outdoor play) in our 'canteen' and eat their healthy lunches together as a 'whole school happy family' - a lovely, social gathering, a rare and fabulous addition, unique to Cullen NS ! 
What a treat, greatly enhancing the happiness, well-being and connectedness of all of our pupils !
Our school hall is located in the entire mid width of the building, with 2 classrooms on either end.   Our interior colour scheme is warm and welcoming.
 
Outdoors, we have a large tarmacadam play area, a basketball court, green play area and a football pitch which is immaculately maintained by Cullen GAA, who have also, kindly gifted to us our top quality goalposts.
The blue and gold colours of this webpage reflect the standard colours of Cullen GAA.
We sincerely thank Cullen Tidy Towns - Conor O'Leary who immaculately maintains all of our green areas.
We thank everyone in our local community for their volunteerism, goodwill, charity, interest, loyalty and limitless time to our school which reaps immense benefits to all of our pupils, in fact, all of our stakeholders.    It is deeply appreciated.

The Health & Safety of our pupils is of paramount importance to us. 
We have an extra exterior yard and car parking spaces to the entire front of our school (which is cordoned off from our pupils), enabling our parents/guardians to drive in off the main road, via our northern entrance gate, drop off and collect our pupils daily at our spacious foyer (complete with overhead canopy for wet weather), right at our front door reception area and then, depart via our southern exit gate.
We are extremely fortunate to have this luxurious, efficient, smooth running, 
5 star facility on site.
Furthermore, we have an automatic coded access system entering and exiting our school, greatly enhancing our pupils' safety.
 
Fr.Gerard O'Leary, Barraduff native and former Board of Management Chairperson, 
Mrs.Hannah Kelleher - Principal & Mrs.Eithne Cremin - Deputy Principal oversaw the entire build of our new school.
All of us, are now reaping the benefits of their countless hours of trojan, perfectionist work, superior leadership, strategic vision and military precision during this hectic and highly productive chapter of Cullen NS.
We wish both Hannah and Eithne many happy, healthy years of retirement. 
We are eternally grateful to Cullen native Mr.Batt O'Keeffe, 
former T.D. & Fianna Fáil Minister for Education and Science (as this Dept. was then known as) who spearheaded the funding budget for our entire project build.  
Go méadaí Dia do stór agus go gcuire Dia ráth ort agus bláth ort, a Bhatt ! 
Fianna Fáil Abú !

We have 3 Mainstream Class Teachers, 1 Special Educational Needs Teacher, 1 Secretary and 
2 Special Needs Assistants, one of whom, Angela Moynihan is a highly qualified & highly experienced Theatre / Orthopaedic / Out Patients Nurse.
We are so blessed to have such a happy, committed 'team spirit' within our staff.
This is matched by the enthusiasm and hardworking ethic of our pupils and parents.
Pupils of Cullen NS achieve at the highest level in their academic work in addition to national competitions in science, maths, music, singing, dancing, public speaking, drama as well as GAA and sports.

Cullen NS has earned Discovery Primary Maths and Science National Awards annually since 2004. Wow!

Cullen NS has earned 6 Green Flags and are working towards our 7th Green Flag! Amazing !

Cullen NS are working towards our 1st  Amber Flag promoting happiness, positive well-being and resilience, in line with our SPHE Social, Personal & Health Education.

Cullen NS are also working towards our 1st  Active Flag promoting physical fitness, in line with our PE Physical Education and Fundamental Movement Skills !

Cullen NS has an extremely dynamic, energetic, hardworking Parents Association who greatly enrich the childhood experiences and memories of all of our pupils.
All three parties - pupils, teachers and parents work together to fulfill our school's aims; that is to nurture, to cherish and to educate.

Cullen enjoys an infectious community spirit !
We strive for excellence in all we endeavour.
Our vision is to engage each pupil in their education so that their faith is a core value in their life. 
In nurturing a passion for excellence, the educational experiences offered to our pupils go far beyond the confines of the classroom.
We endeavour to support our pupils in becoming happy, self-confident, inquiring, independent, tolerant individuals who respect the differences of others. 

Our school staff delight in working harmoniously, as part of a highly skilled, caring, passionate and dedicated multi disciplinary, professional team, bringing much experience, expertise and a wide array of ideas, wisdom and common sense to the table, thus ensuring the highest quality teaching and active learning for each and everyone of our pupils in a happy, child friendly environment in 
Scoil Náisiúnta Chuilinn Uí Chaoimh.
An exciting adventure awaits !
Beir beannacht agus bua,

Eibhlín Iníon Uí Mhathúna - Príomhoide
B.Ed.(Hons.) ; M.Ed.(Hons.)
 
Eileen O'Mahony - Principal  12/10/20
email: principal@cullenns.ie

Board of Management:
Our Board of Management has eight members: two members nominated by the Patron, the school Principal, two members elected by the Parents, and a teacher elected by the staff.
These six members then nominate two other members from the wider community.
The term of office for our Board is just over four years. 
The function of our Board is to govern the school, including policy formation and implementation, appoint staff ( subject to the Minister's and the Patron's approval).
The Board must, at all times, comply with legislation, 
the Rules for National Schools, The Constitution of Boards of Management,
Governance Manual for Primary Schools 2019-2023 and 
all circulars from the Department of Education and Skills.
A new Board of Management was put in place in December 2019.
Elections for parents and teacher representatives took place during November 2019.
Further changes to our Board took place during October and November 2020
(due to staff retirements).
All of these changes are now officially effective from 19/11/20.

Board of Management of Cullen NS 19/11/20 - 2023
Chairperson Mr.Alan Mooney (Patron Nominee)
Canon John Fitzgerald P.P. Millstreet (Patron Nominee)
Secretary: Eileen O'Mahony (Principal)
Treasurer Mr.Derry Morley (Community Nominee)
Mrs.Fiona Kelleher (Elected Parent)
Mr.Dominic Cronin (Elected Parent)
Mrs.Maria O'Sullivan (Community Nominee)
Mrs.Catherine O'Sullivan - Deputy Principal & (Staff Nominee)

Staff & Class Allocation 2020/2021:
Mrs.Eileen O'Connor
School Secretary
Front Offices
Mrs.Nóra Moynihan
Special Ed. Needs TeacherWhole School
Mrs.Catherine O'Sullivan

Michelle Twomey
Deputy Principal / Teacher

Special Needs Assistant
Junior & Senior Infants
Mrs.Angela Moynihan

Eileen O'Mahony
SNA / Nurse

Principal Teacher
1st, 2nd & 3rd Classes
Elaine Cronin     Mainstream Class Teacher4th, 5th & 6th Classes

Úna O'Mahony: *Part -Time Teacher 2020/2021

Patricia Bradley: Cleaner

Urszula Sadjak: Specific Certified Covid Contract Cleaner 2020/2021

 In School Management  (ISM Team):
 Principal: Eileen O'Mahony
 Deputy Principal: Mrs.Catherine O'Sullivan
 Assistant Principal: Mrs. Nóra Moynihan

School Times: 9:20am - 3pm
School gates are unlocked & are open at 9:10 a.m. Classes begins at 9:20 a.m.

Revised Morning break: 11:15 a.m. - 11:25 a.m.

Revised Lunch break: 1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.

School finishes at 2:00 p.m. for Junior/Senior Infants & at 3pm for all other classes.

Contact Us:
Cullen NS, Mullaghroe, Cullen, Mallow Co.Cork. P51TK70

www.cullenns.ie

(029)79201

Email: office@cullenns.ie

Image result for school bell cartoon

School Uniform
Grey trousers/skirt/pinafore.
Grey jumper.
Sky blue shirt/Polo shirt.
Royal blue tie.

School Tracksuit
Navy sweater, with school crest, navy leggings and a yellow polo shirt.
This is worn every Friday and for sports activities throughout the year.
Image result for school uniform cartoon
School History
Situated in Mullachrua, at the top of Cullen Village, stands the newly built Scoil Náisiúnta Chuilinn Uí Chaoimh since 2011. In that year, the school moved from the elevated site in the townland of Lislehane on the main Mallow-Killarney road. This school building however was not the first primary school to be built in Cullen, so just for a short while we will recapture the story of schooling in this area.
The first school was built at the top of Lislehane Hill in 1847 over one hundred and sixty years ago. It consisted of two rooms - a boys’ room and a girls’ room. The walls of the school were built from local stone and were very low. It had a slate roof and very small windows, so the ventilation was very poor. Heating was provided from an open fire in each room. Turf was provided by the parents and in the early days some pupils brought the sod of turf with them to school each morning.

Both teachers and pupils in those days did not enjoy great working conditions. The Irish people at the time were poor as Ireland was ruled by England and farm produce did not fetch a high price. England was famous for what was called “a cheap food policy” so farmers toiled from morning until night for little reward. Most of the community worked on the land and the labourers and tradesmen who worked for them were paid meagre wages. Any repairs that became necessary for the old school had to be paid for by the teachers out of their own salaries.

Boys and girls were taught separately. The first school mistress was Miss Hanora Dennehy from Millstreet who married Denis Hickey. When he died she married Robert Dunne, a sergeant in the police, who lived in Cullen. She retired in 1892 and was succeeded by a Mrs. Kate Cronin from Rathduane. In 1864 an assistant teacher named Eileen O’ Donoghue was appointed. In 1869 a second assistant Hannah O’ Riordan was appointed and in 1871 a third assistant Nanno Morley was appointed to the school. At one time there were four teachers in the girls’ school.

The principal Mrs. Cronin was succeeded by her daughter H. M. Cronin. She taught there until her death in 1931 and was succeeded by Mrs. Hanora Kiely who had Mrs. Brigid Brennan as her new assistant. That girls’ school was remarkable for the number of girls who left it to join the religious life. Many of them went to Australia and were noted for their missionary zeal.

The first principal of the boys’ school was William Godsil who was succeeded by Robert Dwyer. Next to him came Conal George Mc Sweeney. His most famous pupil was Dónal Ó Conchúir- the famous poet whose poems can be found in “Dúnaire Duthalla”. succeeding Mr. Mc Sweeney were Timothy Ring of Glountane, Cullen and John Kiely a native of Feenagh, Co. Limerick. John Kiely married a local girl, Elizabeth O’ Keeffe and lived in Mullaghroe. His son Roger Kiely later became a teacher and was a principal of the school in the 1930’s. He had a great interest in the Irish Language and in Irish music and formed a school band.
 
The old school building had by now become very dilapidated. It was rat infested and was most insanitary so 1938 saw the completion of the new school a little farther over the road. One autumn morning in 1938 all the pupils led by the fife and drum band and, accompanied by their teachers Roger Kiely, Denis O’ Keeffe, Mrs. Hanora Kiely and Mrs. Brigid Brennan, marched east along the road and up the steps to the school.

Mrs. Kiely was principal of the girls’ school and her assistant was Mrs. Brennan. On that day there were 85 girls on the rolls.

Roger Kiely was the principal of the boys’ school and his assistant was Denis O’ Keeffe. There were 75 boys on the rolls making a total of 160 pupils.

The new school seemed palatial to the pupils who left the top of the hill but by the standards of today it would appear primitive. Heating was provided by an open fire in three rooms and a stove in Mrs. Kiely's room. Turf was kept in the sheds up at the back. The toilets were up at the back as well - three toilets for the boys and three for the girls. They were dry lavatories as the school had no public water supply. Each morning four pupils took four big containers for water back to a water spout near where Der Kielys’ house now stands. That was the water supply for the day. The sixth class pupils enjoyed drawing the water in the morning as it meant a little time off from school work!! The fires were also set by the senior pupils who also took out the ashes. They did not consider these tasks a chore as they were accustomed to similar work at home.

Pupils sat on dual desks which had seating for two and a writing desk. Embedded in the desk was an ink-well for each pupil. No biros then only pens with attachable nibs and ink. The ink was a deep blue liquid made by the teacher with ink powder and water. The script was dried with blotting paper and care had to be taken not to blot the copy. Blotting the copy was punished by a slap of a cane. Corporal punishment was the order of the day.

Roll books and Teachers Records were stored in the pitch-pine presses which are still in the rooms. The presses held the pupils’ copy books and text books in use for the different subjects. The emphasis was very much on the teaching of Irish, English and Arithmetic and a state examination in those subjects called the Primary Certificate.

Exams had to be taken by each pupil at the end of sixth class.

Department inspectors visited the school at certain times to ensure the Curriculum was taught to the required standard and a Religious inspection took place every year. Confirmation was administered every three years but more recently every second year.

In 1966 the two schools, boys and girls were amalgated under Willie Joe O’Keeffe as principal. On his retirement in 1975 Liam Fitzgerald was appointed principal. The assistants then were Miss Kiely, Mrs. Nolan and Mrs. Cremin. In 1991 the falling enrolment meant the loss of Miss Kiely who took up an appointment in Scoil Mhuire, Kiskeam.

Mrs. Cremin retired in 1994 and was succeeded by Mrs. Eithne Cremin. Mrs. Nolan retired in 1995 and it was then a two teacher school until 2001 when a third teacher, Mrs. Joan Mullane joined the staff. In 2004 Mr. Liam Fitzgerald retired and was  succeeded by Mrs.Hannah Kelleher as Principal. That same year Mrs. Joan Mullane was replaced by Miss Sinéad (Murphy) Bourke. 

Mrs. Hannah Kelleher - Principal retired in October, 2018 and was replaced by Mrs. Nóra Moynihan as Principal.

Mrs.Eithne Cremin - Deputy Principal retired on 9/10/20 & on 12/10/20 Eileen O'Mahony commenced as Principal of Cullen NS.



Teachers down through the years
 
Girls school:
Principals:
Mrs. Kiely 1938-1960.

Mrs. Mc Sweeney 1960- ‘63.

Mrs. Kate Cremin 1963-’66.

Assistants: Mrs. Brennan.

Mrs. Mc Sweeney.

Miss Mary O’Riordan.

Mrs. Mary Nolan.

Boys school:
Principals:

Roger Kiely 1938-’61.

Willie Joe O’ Keeffe.

Assistant: Denis O’Keeffe.

Willie Joe O’Keeffe.

Mrs. Kate Cremin.

Mrs. Mary Nolan.

Miss Eileen Kiely.

Boy's & Girl's Combined

Principals:

Willie Joe O’ Keeffe1966-’75.

Liam Fitzgerald 1975 - 2004

Hannah Kelleher 2004 - 2018 

Nóra Moynihan 2018 - 2020

Eileen O'Mahony 12/10/20 - Present Date


Teachers: 

Mrs. Nolan.

Mrs. K Cremin.

Mrs. Eithne Cremin

Mrs Sinéad.Murphy Bourke.

Mrs Catherine O' Sullivan

Nóra Moynihan

Elaine Cronin