Hugh Lovel is a farmer and multi-disciplined scientist, author of “A Biodynamic Farm, For Growing Wholesome Food,” and his articles appear regularly in Acres, USA.
· Why Care About Local Food ? opens up the summit with clear reasons why eating local is better for our health, our economy, our planet and our consciousness.
· How Plants Grow will cover photosynthesis, biochemistry and life processes.
· Excellence In Food explores vitality, quality and self-regenerative farming practices.
· Agriculture Can Be Free will help us understand the polarities of lime/silica, carbon/nitrogen and soil/atmosphere and how we can work with, rather than against, nature.
· Science Of Organics explains the bio-sequence of growth using the periodic table of elements.
Sharbari Bird’s late husband, Christopher Bird, co-authored “The Secret Life Of Plants” and “Secrets of the Soil,” and works with Hugh in Quantum Agriculture.
· Making Our Own Fertilizer will show you how to gather your own indigenous microbes through fermentation.
Jeff Poppen is a life-long farmer and author of “The Barefoot Farmer.”
· Old-Time Farming , with Hugh, explains why farmers keep livestock, make compost, rotate crops and animals and grow cover crops, all of which can be found in hundred year old, seventh grade agricultural textbooks from the USDA.
· Questions and Answers is a chance for informal garden discussions.
Susana Lein runs Salamander Springs Farm in Berea, KY, producing a wide variety of market crops including grains dry beans, vegetables & fruits without tillage, pesticides or fertilizers of any kind.
· Permaculture Food Production demonstrates practical applications of permaculture principles, including no till and intensive cropping methods, for local food production.
Dodd Galbreath manages the Institute for Sustainable Practice at Lipscomb University.
· The Role of Education pulls together the elements of sustainability and how this relates to educating people about food.
· Social Networking and Eco-Psychology offers insights into how we can foster sustainable behavior in regards to food and other life choices.
Elizabeth Murphy is an environmental lawyer in Nashville.
· The Future of Tennessee Agriculture reveals the challenges agribusiness faces with their plans for Tennessee, along with the brighter view of local sustainable farms.
Eric Smith and family run Bugtussle Farm, a local CSA and livestock operation.
· It’s Easy To Grow Your Own Food offers advice for beginners and seasoned gardeners alike.
Adam Turtle is co-owner and operator of Earth Advocates Research Farm in Summertown, TN.
· Edible Landscaping draws on his experience as a world-class gardener with a holistic perspective.
Sandor Katz is author of “Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods” and “The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements.”
· Wild Fermentation will explore the health benefits and how-to of eating fermented foods.
Dr. Arthur R. Cushman is a Fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and certified by the American Board of Integrative Medicine and Founder of Integrative Health Community, Goodletsville, TN.
· What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Healing and Whole Foods will explore how whole food nutrition will help you heal.
John Patrick is a Sustainable Food Systems Guest Professor at Lipscomb University, a retired EPA evaluator, a Cumberland River Compact board member, and farmer at Foggy Hollow Farm. Andrea Cloniger Wilson is a Sustainable Food Systems Adjunct Professor at Lipscomb University and a nutrition consultant.
Cassi Johnson brings a broad background in healthy food advocacy to her role as senior community prevention consultant for Invitation Health & Wellness and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Center for Prevention. Previously, Johnson led Community Food Advocates in Nashville.
Edwin Dysinger, along with his brother John and their families, run Bountiful Blessings Farm, a small, certified organic, family farm specializing in winter produce, marketed through a thriving CSA and select retail stores.