Welcome to The Tenement Museum Field Trip Page!

The Tenement Museum was built in 1863 in Manhattan’s Lower East Side. It was home to 7,000 immigrants from over 20 nations, until it closed as a residential building in 1935. Since then it has been the home of retail stores that used the empty apartments to house their inventories. The Museum opened in 1992 with its first restored apartment of the Gumpertz family, German-Jews that lived in the tenement in the late 1870's. The museum is a National Historic Landmark and a National Trust Historic Site.