Tae Eun Choe (한글: 최태은, 中文: 崔泰銀, カタカナ: チェテウン)
Tae Eun Choe is a staff computer vision scientist at Tesla motors. He earned his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Southern California in 2007. He has broad experiences in computer vision, video codec, and wireless networks. His research interests include 3-D reconstruction, object detection and tracking, scene understanding, text and video analysis and fusion, and mobile computing. Previously, he led multiple projects at ObjectVideo. In an Automatic Scene Understanding (DoD SBIR NAVY OSD09-SP3, Phase I and II) project, he developed an framework to handle multi-modal queries (keyword, plain text, video clip, SQL, SPARQL) and retrieve relevant videos in distributed network systems. For Mathematics of Sensing, Exploitation, and Execution (DARPA BAA Phase I, II, and III), he developed a unified framework to fuse multi-modal data including image, video, SIGINT, unstructured data by representing them to a And-Or graph and converted it to a natural text report. He is currently developing a fully autonomous Autopilot system at Tesla motors.
- Computer vision, machine learning, multimedia, computer graphics
- 3-D reconstruction, big data analysis, video event search, medical imaging, data mining, mobile computing, cloud computing
- Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Southern California Aug 2007
- M.S. Computer Science, University of Southern California Dec 2004
- M.S. Computer Science, Pohang University of Science and Technology,
S. Korea Feb 1998
- B.E. Computer Engineering, Pusan National University, S. Korea
- (Summa cum laude) Feb 1996
Principal Research Scientist
2007 – Present
University of Southern California
2001 – 2007
Pohang Institute of Science and Technology
Research Associate (Project Leader)
2000 – 2001
1996 – 1998
LG Electronics (Seoul, South Korea)
1998 – 2000
- Atul Kanaujia, Tae Eun Choe, Hongli Deng, "Complex Events Recognition under Uncertainty in a Sensor Network," arXiv preprint arXiv:1411.0085.
- Kewei Tu, Meng Meng, Mun Wai Lee, Tae Eun Choe, Song-Chun Zhu, "Joint Video and Text Parsing for Understanding Events and Answering Queries". IEEE MultiMedia, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.42-70, Apr. 2014.
- Xiaochun Cao, Lin Wu, Zeeshan Rasheed, Haiying Liu, Tae Eun Choe, Feng Guo, Niels Haering, "Automatic Geo-Registration for Port Surveillance," IJPRAI 24(4): pp. 531-555, 2010
- Tae Eun Choe, Gerard Medioni, Isaac Cohen, Alexander Walsh, SriniVas Sadda, "2-D Registration and 3-D Shape Reconstruction of the Retinal Fundus from Fluorescein Images," Journal of Medical Image Analysis, pp.174-190, Apr. 2008
- JF Updike, Tae Eun Choe, Isaac Cohen, Gerard Medioni, PG Updike, Alexander C. Walsh, SriniVas R. Sadde, "Affine Registration And Stereoscopic Extraction From Retinal Fluorescein Angiographic Images," Journal of Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Vol 47, Iss 13, 2006
- Asaad Hakeem, Himaanshu Gupta, Atul Kanaujia, Tae Eun Choe, Kiran Gunda, Andrew Scanlon, Li Yu, Zhong Zhang, Peter Venetianer, Zeeshan Rasheed and Niels Haering, "Video Analysis for Business Intelligence", Springer Berlin Heidelberg , pp 309-354, 2012
- Zeeshan Rasheed, Khurram Shatique, Li Yu, Mun Wai Lee, Krishnan Ramnath, Tae Eun Choe, Omar Javed, and Niels Haering, “Distributed Sensor Networks for Visual Surveillance”, in Distributed Video Sensor Networks, Editors: Bhanu, B., Ravishankar, C.V., Roy-Chowdhury, A.K., Aghajan, H., Terzopoulos, D., Springer, 2011.
- Don Madden, Tae Eun Choe, Hongli Deng, Kiran Gunda, Himaanshu Gupta, Asaad Hakeem, Narayanan Ramanathan, Zeeshan Rasheed, Ethan Shayne, "Mobile ISR: Intelligent ISR Management and Exploitation for the Expeditionary Warfighter," IEEE Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop (AIPR) 2014
- Minwoo Park, Tae Eun Choe, Andrew Scanlon, and Allison Beach, "Transformative Crowdsourcing: Harnessing the Power of Crowdsourced Imagery to Simplify and Accelerate Investigations," Human-Machine Communication for Visual Recognition and Search, held in conjunction with ECCV 2014, 2014
- Donald Madden, Andrew Scanlon, Y Zhou, Tae Eun Choe, Martin Smith, "Real time video overlays," ACM SIGGRAPH 2014 Posters, 2014.
- Tae Eun Choe, Hongli Deng, Feng Guo, Mun Wai Lee, and Niels Haering, "Semantic Video-to-Video Search Using Sub-graph Grouping and Matching," 2013 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, 5th International Workshop on Video Event Categorization, Tagging, and Retrieval, 2013.
- Tae Eun Choe, Zeeshan Rasheed, Geoffrey Taylor, Niels Haering, “Globally Optimal Target Tracking in Real Time using Max-Flow Network," 11th International Workshop on Visual Surveillance (VS2011), held in conjunction with ICCV 2011, 2011
- Tae Eun Choe, Mun Wai Lee, Feng Guo, Geoffrey Taylor, Li Yu, Niels Haering, “Semantic Video Event Search for Surveillance Video," 11th International Workshop on Visual Surveillance (VS2011), held in conjunction with ICCV 2011, 2011
- Tae Eun Choe, Mun Wai Lee, Niels Haering, “Traffic Analysis with Low Frame Rate Camera Network," First IEEE Workshop on Camera Networks (WCN2010), held in conjunction with CVPR 2010, 14 June, 2010.
- Zeeshan Rasheed, Geoff Taylor, Li Yu, Mun Wai Lee, Tae Eun Choe, Feng Guo, Asaad Hakeem, Krishnan Ramnath, Martin Smith, Atul Kanaujia, Dana Eubanks, Niels Haering, "Rapidly Deployable Video Analysis Sensor Units for Wide Area Surveillance," First IEEE Workshop on Camera Networks (WCN2010), held in conjunction with CVPR 2010, 14 June, 2010.
- Tae Eun Choe, Krishnan Ramnath, Mun Wai Lee, Niels Haering, “Image Transformation for Object Tracking in High Resolution Video,” ICPR2008
- Zeeshan Rasheed,Xiaochun Cao, Khurram Shafique, Haiying Liu, Li Yu , Mun Wai Lee, Krishnan Ramnath, Tae Eun Choe, Omar Javed, Niels Haering, "Automated Visual Analysis in Large Scale Sensor Networks,” International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC-08), 2008
- Tae Eun Choe, Gerard Medioni, "3-D Metric Reconstruction and Registration of Images of Near-planar Surfaces," ICCV 2007, Oct. 2007
- Tae Eun Choe, Isaac Cohen, Gerard Medioni, "3-D Shape Reconstruction of Retinal Fundus," CVPR 2006, pp. 2277-2284, 2006
- Tae Eun Choe, Isaac Cohen, Gerard Medioni, Alexander C. Walsh, SriniVas R. Sadda, "Evaluation of 3-D Shape Reconstruction of Retinal Fundus," MICCAI 2006, pp. 134-141, 2006
- Tae Eun Choe, Isaac Cohen, Munwai Lee, Gerard Medioni, "Optimal Global Mosaic Generation from Retinal Images," ICPR 2006, pp. 681-684, 2006
- Tae Eun Choe, Isaac Cohen, "Registration of Multimodal Fluorescein Images Sequence of the Retina," ICCV 2005, pp. 106-113, 2005
- Mingtian Zhao, Yibiao Zhao, Ping Wei, Amy Morrow, Kewei Tu, Dan Xie, Sinisa Todorovic, Tae Eun Choe, Mun Wai Lee, Song-Chun Zhu, "Joint Parsing: Spatial, Temporal, and Causal Inference for Understanding Images and Video," Demo presentation at CVPR 2012.
- Tae Eun Choe, Gerard Medioni, “3-D reconstruction and registration,”
US Patent #: US 8,401,276 and US 9,280,821
- Tae Eun Choe, Sung Chul Kang, “Apparatus and method for transmitting call holding message in mobile communication terminal,"
US Patent #: US 6,782,252 and US 7,551,900
- Atul Kanaujia, Tae Eun Choe, Hongli Deng, "Complex Event Recognition in a Sensor Network," USPTO Application #: 20,150,279,182
- Atul Kanaujia, Narayanan Ramanathan, Tae Eun Choe, "System and Method for Identifying Faces in Unconstrained Media," USPTO Application #: 20,150,178,554
- Minwoo Park, Tae Eun Choe, W. Andrew Scanlon, M. Allison Beach, Gary W. Myers, "Systems and methods for processing crowd-sourced multimedia items, USPTO Application #: 20,150,066,919
- Tae Eun Choe, Hongli Deng, Mun Wai Lee, Feng Guo, "Graph matching by sub-graph grouping and indexing" USPTO Application #:20,140,324,864
- Tae Eun Choe, Mun Wai Lee, Kiran Gunda, Niels Haering, “Automatic event detection, text generation, and use thereof,” USPTO Application #: 20,130,129,307
- Advanced Artificial Intelligence (CS573) Spring 2004
- Computer Vision (CS574) Fall 2003
- Computer Graphics (CS480) Fall 2002, Spring 2003
- Computer Architecture (CS311), Taught an assembly language Fall 1996
- Marquis Who’s who in America 2009-
- USC Teaching and Research Assistantship May 2002 – Aug 2007
- Outstanding Academic Achievements Award from USC (PhD) May 2007
- Outstanding Academic Achievements Award from USC (MS) May 2004
- Scholarship from Korea Government(4years, $60,000) Sep 2001–Aug 2005
- The Best Paper Award in Korea Broadcasting Conference Oct 1998
- LG Electronics Scholarship Mar 1996 – Feb 1998
- Student Scholarship from POSTECH Mar 1996 – Feb 1998
- Premium Award for Academic Excellence Feb 1996
For summa cum laude, Pusan National University
- The 3rd prize in National Software Contest as a group, Aug 1994
- The 5th prize in National Software Contest as an individual, Aug 1994
- Student Scholarship from Pusan National University Aug 1992 – Feb1996
- English, Japanese, Korean: Fluent
- Reviewer of ICCV, CVPR, ECCV, and top-tier computer vision journals, 2007-
- Contributor of designing government standards such as Motion Imagery Standards Board (MISB), Universal Core (UCore), and DoD Discovery Metadata Specification (DDMS)
- Program committee of IAPR International Conference on Machine Vision Applications (MVA) 2013, 2015.
- Finance Chair of Korea Institute of Communication Sciences Workshop on Image Processing and Understanding, 2001
- Committee member of ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (H.263+/H.26L), 1998