tech9iner's DEAD END
kkathmans nvidia howto THAT WORKS!!
1) CTRL-ALT-F2 to exit KDE to a terminal mode - should be at a command line.
2) Login as root w/password.
3) Type "init 3" no quotes, at the command line. You may need to hit a return to get your prompt back after it runs (note it will say "Level 3 reached at far right".
4) Type "rcxdm stop" to for sure stop KDE.
5) Navigate to your Home directory where you downloaded your NVIDIA driver (i.e cd /home/tech9iner)
6) run the driver file by typing "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7182-pkg1.run" at the command line (or whatever the name of that file is that you downloaded.. pretty sure thats it)
carefully answer all the questions...you will get to a point where it will say "no precompiled kernel interface...." refuse.. and say NO!
let the system build one FOR YOU. Approve to build!! this is important.
once its done it will drop out to the command line... and suggest you run sax..
Do so by typing "sax -r -m 0=nvidia" this will result in a test of the screen, and everything shold be cool... accept it. It will take you back to the CLI.
At that point type "init 5" login to KDE and enjoy :)