Featuring a Performance by the Columbia University Gospel Choir Reception Following in Zankel Hall
Dr. Buzz Alexander, national professor of the year from the University of Michigan, will
present his new book: Is William Martinez Not Our Brother?: Twenty Years of the Prison
Creative Arts Project. This pioneering education program provides university courses and
coordinates a national network for incarcerated youth and adults to help them withstand
and often overcome the conditions and culture of prison through the arts.
Panel Discussants Include:
- Kathy Boudin, formerly incarcerated; Director, Criminal Justice Initiative Supporting Children, Families and Communities, CUSSW
Jondou Chen, Teachers College Student Press Initiative
- Chris Emdin, author of "Urban Science Education for the Hip Hop Generation"
- Michael Rebell, Executive Director, Campaign for Educational Equity
- Carol Shapiro, seminar leader, "Rethinking Criminal Justice: Moving Beyond an Individual Approach"
- Julia Taylor, contributing author, "Performing New Lives: Prison Theatre"
FOLLOW-UP WORKSHOP NOT TO BE MISSED: