Transferring Your Child Into School

To a Public School:

For children under 16 years old:

If your child is entering into the public school system from homeschooling and if he homeschooled under an umbrella school (i.e. distance learning program) that included issuing grades as part of its service, a transcript from them should be presented with your enrollment.  

If your child did not homeschool under such circumstances, the procedure outlined in the Department of Education Circular Letter 02-2006-2007  is (The full Spanish document is found below in the attachments.): 

-Visit your regional Dept. of Education Office of Equivalency in order to receive a provisional placement certificate

-Present that certificate at the school your child will be entering 

-The school will then include your child on the list of students needing to take the placement exam when it is offered.    

For children 16 and older:

1)  You have to meet with Wilma Rodríguez, Director of the Exams Unit located at the Department of Education central offices in San Juan.  She is there Monday - Thursday from 8:00 - 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.  Her phone number is: 787-759-2000, exts. 4648 and 4649.  It is not necessary to make an appointment with her, though we highly recommend calling before making the trip there, just to make sure that she will be in her office that day.


2)  You must bring with you any homeschooling evidence that you have, i.e. transcript from distance learning program, portfolio, standardized test scores, etc.


The following portfolio guidelines was suggested to a homeschooling mother by the Dept. of Education:


1)  Presentation Page (name of homeschool, town and country.  In the center of the page a picture of the child and at the bottom of the page, child's complete name, age, date of birth and last grade completed.)

2)  The second part of the portfolio is for copies of the child's birth certificate, vaccination record, date of last doctor, dentist, and if done, vision and psychometric check ups.

3)  The third section is subdivided by classes (including physical education) and should contain copies or original samples of work, exams, books and materials used, etc.  Extra curricular activities should also be included here, utilizing photos and providing dates if you can.

4)  This section is for evaluations done, i.e. any attendance and/or progress reports you have.

5)  The last section is for any other certificates, letters of recognition, etc. that your child may have received.

To a Private School:

Please note that private schools have the right not to accept students coming from homeschooling, although most do accept homeschoolers.  If you think you might want to put your child in a private school at some point after homeschooling, it is recommended that you first check if they accept homeschoolers and what their admission process requires before beginning to homeschool. 

Alison Martin,
May 17, 2010, 10:30 AM