Special Education Students

Special Education  

The Department of Education still does not have a formal procedure in place for homeschoolers leaving school systems and so, there remains much confusion on the part of many directors on how to handle those transferring out of the school systems into homeschooling.  This holds particularly true for those students receiving Special Education.  However, the following has more or less been the accepted procedure thus far.  

If your child has been enrolled in a school (public or private), you should notify the director and the Special Education office of your district in writing that your child is transferring into a private educational system. (sample letter)  If the school has the transfer form available, you may fill it out with the name of your homeschool (simply name your homeschool whatever you want).   

You may also request a copy of your child's records.  Depending on the school, you may be asked to cover the cost of copying said records.  Your child's medical and vaccination certificates should also be returned to you.  

The ignorance of the legality of homeschooling on the part of some school directors, district superintendents, and school social workers has caused problems for some families wanting to transfer their children to homeschooling.  Should you confront problems, please feel free to contact us for help.  A phone call or letter from our lawyer to the director has always cleared up any misunderstandings. 

A few things that parents with children in Special Education should bear in mind:  

-The transfer into homeschooling does not mean that your child will lose his/her right to receive related services (therapies). 

-Your child will continue to receive the related services (therapies) that he/she is already receiving when you start homeschooling.  

-The IEP (Individualized Educational Program) (See sample below in attachments) will be carried out by you and the therapist(s) once you start homeschooling. 

-If different related services (therapies) are applied for after the transfer into homeschooling, your child will be put on a waiting list for those related services (therapies), the same as any other private school student.
Alison Martin,
Aug 14, 2010, 1:07 PM