GRILLED OYSTERS and MUSSELS for VALENTINE'S DAY
4 Easy Steps to Make a Sizzle
courtesy of www.tasteebq.com
To View Youtube Demo CLICK HERE
Are you thinking about spending a romantic night at home, rather than at a crowded Bistro? The outdoor Grill can be your friend. This restaurant quality recipe is simple to prepare, and can take less than an hour to make. Even if you can't use it for Valentine's Day. keep it on the short list of things to try (next time you fire up the grill). It goes great as a delicious appetizer, or main entree with a side of pasta.
Grilled Oysters/ Mussels with Spinach and Smoked Bacon in 4 Easy Steps:
1. Fire up the Grill
2. Clean and assemble the oysters and mussels
3. Smoke Mussels, Oysters and Bacon.
4. Prepare and Spinach/Garlic Butter Mix and Heart Toast (optional)
Supplies you will need:
BBQ Grill (if Charcoal- Coals and Lighting Fluid or Cubes/ Gas- Propane)
Wood Chips (Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry, Apple and/or ???)
Metal or Foil Pans
BBQ Tongs, Spatula
Small Mixing Bowl
Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter
Shopping List (for two)
6-8 Fresh Oysters
1lb Mussels (Fresh or Steamed/Fresh Frozen)
3 Slices Thick Cut Bacon (Pork or Turkey ok)
1/2 Cup Fresh Spinach
Garlic (2 tbsp Dry or Chopped Fresh)
Thyme (2 tsp dry or 2 tbsp Chopped Fresh)
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
BBQ Grill Seasoning/ or Dry Rub
4-6 Slices Sourdough or French bread (optional-if making toast)
STEP 1. FIRE UP GRILL
1. Soak 1 Cup Wood Chips in a bowl or ziplock bag (double in case of leaks)
2. For Gas:
-Preheat one half of Grill to Medium. Pour in 1/2 the bag of Charcoal (4 lbs.) or light 1/2
-Stack Coal into a Pyramid at center of Grill
-Follow Lighting instructions:
- For Fluid, squeeze some into center of Pile, and then evenly over the outer Coals
- With Cubes, you will put one in two to three spots
- Light fire. It will take about 15 minutes until Coals are ready for Cooking.
- When coals are ready, carefully shift them to one side of grill usings Tongs and/or Spatula
3. Add 1/4 cup soaked Wood Chips to smoking element (box or on coals) [Never directly to gas/electric coils.]
4. Lay Bacon Slices on grill farthest from heat, then place Foil Baskets or Pans of Oyster/Mussels on unheated middle, next to (not directly on top of heat).
5. Congratulations, you have now developed the skill of Indirect Smoking
6. Replenish chips as needed (every 10-15 minutes) to maintain smoke.
STEP 2- Clean/ Assemble Oysters and Mussels
1. Rinse off Fresh Seafood, removing any traces of sand.
2. Place Oysters and Mussels in single layer in a aluminum pan or make your own double=ply foil basket(s). Tip- Odd shaped Oysters may stabilized by propping with Mussels. Some people use Course Salt and/or add Fresh Herbs (Thyme, Fennel, Rosemary or ?) to pan.
STEP 3- Smoke Mussels, Oysters and Bacon (the MOB)
1. [From above] Lay Bacon Slices on grill farthest from heat, then place Foil Baskets or Pans of Oyster/Mussels on unheated middle, next to (not directly on top of heat).
2. Allow Seafood to Smoke on Grill for 12-15 minutes.
3. Check in about 8-10 minutes, flip everything once Mussels start to open. Replenish chips as needed (every 10-15 minutes) to maintain smoke. Also flip Bacon.
3. Smoke for another 5-7 minutes until Mussels open up.
4. Remove pan from grill.
[Demo on YouTube CLICK HERE]
STEP 4- Prepare Spinach/Garlic Butter Mix and Heart Toast
1. If making Heart Toast, use Cookie Cutter to shape bread. No cutter, grill whole slices and cut in half diagonal after grilling.
2. In small Bowl, mix Softened Butter (or Margarine) with Garlic and Thyme. Season with Salt Pepper, and a sprinkle of BBQ Dry Seasoning. Spread 1/3 of mixture over each side of Bread.
3. Julienne and Chop Spinach into small squares, Fold into remaining Butter/Garlic Mixture
4. Once Mussels are open (from grilling), remove top shell and put pinch of Spinach/ Butter Mixture onto each Mussel. Then return them to Grill for 3-4 minutes, until butter melts.
5. Grill Heart Toast over Heat (ed Elements or Coals) 1-2 minutes per side.
6. Move Bacon to Heat (ed Elements or Coals) 1-2 minutes per side until crispy
Place on platter, sprinkle with Crumbled Smoked Bacon. Garish with Toast, Lemon and Green Herb Garnish (if available).
-Find open corner, carefully open each shell with paring Knife, saving juice (padded Oven Gloves recommended).
-Move to platter, spindle each with Lemon Wedge and BBQ Dry Seasoning. Garnish with Toast, Lemon and Green Herb Garnish.
[CLICK HERE to see brief Demo on YouTube]