Please Note- This is the Fully ReLoaded Recipe ReMix- For Condensed Version see Original Super Bowl Article
For Printer friendly page CLICK HERE
The Adventures of TASTEEBQ- Episode 1
Burgers And Beyond! TASTEEBQ Goes to the Super Bowl!!
Five SuperEasy Grilling Recipes to Make You a SuperHero
Well, we don't actually go to the Big Game, it is more like a Human Home Gathering of Football Fans
Our hero TASTEEBQ was called to the Rescue by Jill, a Damsel in Distress. Tired of frozen burgers and salty hotdogs for Super Bowl, Jill was determined to do something more exciting on the Grill. Plus, some of Jill's expected guests were from the Tribe of Vegan. But…What to Make? And How? Help!!!
Hearing her distress from far away TASTEEBQ answered her call. …Using a powerful Distance Connecting Voice Module (some may call it an iphone). On a lifelong Mission to defeat his longtime arch-nemises Boren'GFood, our Hero is always happy to lend a hand. He flew to Jill's lair immediately and was amazed to see her Pantry, which contained everything needed to make Five SuperEasy SuperBowl Recipes for the Grill.
This great fortune always seems to shine for our SuperHero. Mere Mortals may need to retrieve some of these items from their Local Food Exchange. [Hint- look for Yellow Items throughout story for your Shopping/Supplies Lists.
In a Snap!, TASTEEBQ was able to help Jill make a truly Heroic Menu. Her guests were overjoyed to consume these delicious morsels, which miraculously disappeared as fast as they were served. With an assist on the Grill from her husband Jack, both hosts became Legendary Heroes in the eyes (and stomachs) of all their friends. They even scored points with the Vegans, which can be quite the challenge.
Five SuperEasy Superbowl Recipes
Our Hero was Jazzed to find the Basic Grilling Supplies needed on hand:
-Barbeque Grill (Gas or Charcoal)
-Wood Chips (Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry, and/or Apple)
-Grill Tongs and Spatula
-Metal or Foil Pan or Trays
1. BARBEQUE CHIPS
TASTEEBQ flew to the Pantry for one simple ingredient- Kettle Cooked Potato Chips.
Then he said: “This is the easiestof the easy. It's not really a recipe, more of a Neat Trick or Technique. Use any flavor Chips you like and put them on the Smoker for 8-10 minutes to add a fresh, delicious Grill Smoked Flavor. This works especially well with Chips for dipping and served warm. Try with Kettle Barbecue Potato Chips, Ruffles, Doritos, Fritos Scoops, Pita or Veggie Chips (for the Vegans.)” [<Uncompensated Brand Endorsements <<]
Jack preheated the Grill coaxing it to full smoke after adding soaked Wood Chips to the heating element. He evenly layered Potato Chips across bottom of a Foil Pan, leaving space for the smoke to circulate. Smoking on low indirect heat for 8-15 minutes, Jack watched carefully (for Chips not to burn) and tossed them with Tongs once or twice to circulate flavor. Serving them hot, the guests really dug these Chips with French Onion Dip.
-Get Smoker to full smoke after adding Soaked Wood Chips to heating element
-Potato Chips should be in even layer across bottom of Pan, leave space for smoke to circulate
-Smoke on low indirect heat for 8-15 minutes
-Watch carefully not to burn as natural oils are released
-Toss with Tongs once or twice to circulate flavor
-While hot, serve and enjoy. Guests will really dig these with a cool Dip.
2. SMOKED NACHOSOur Hero had the couple grab a bag of their favorite Tortilla Chips and choice of Toppings, and assured them: "This will win Big! every time in the game of Grill vs. Microwave." From the pantry they extricated: Tortilla Chips, Cheese, Salsa and a variety of Toppings which can include: Chopped Onions, Tomatoes, Jalapenos, Black Beans, Sour Cream, Guacamole and Bean Dip. In nearby Galaxies, humans are known to also add Taco Seasoned Ground Beef, Cooked Chicken, Steak Bits or Crispy Bacon.
Jill layered the Tortilla Chips evenly across the bottom of Foil Pan. Then she sprinkled with one layer of Cheese to help prevent the Chips from getting soggy. Next, she spread Black Beans (or Bean Dip), then- Chopped Tomatoes, Onions and a second Toppingof Shredded Cheese.
To the Grill! The Chips were smoked on low indirect heat for 12-15 minutes. Guests were able to top their own Chips with Scoops of Sour Cream and Guacamole. They also had a choice of Mild Salsa, Jalapenos and Cholula Hot Sauce.
Cheese (Pre-shredded Mexican Mix, Cheddar, Monteray Jack, Queso Fresco and/or Vegan Cheese)
Black Beans (cooked and warmed)
(for Heartier Chips, add choice of:)
Taco Seasoned Ground Beef
Cooked Chicken or Steak Bits
-Get Smoker to full smoke after adding Soaked Wood Chips to heating element
-Tortilla Chips should be in even layer across bottom of Foil Pan or Serving Tray
- Add first layer of Cheese
- If using Black Beans or Bean Dip, spread evenly over Tortilla Chips. May also add Meat here, as well.
- Sprinkle with Chopped Tomatoes, Onions and Top with Shredded Cheese
- Smoke on low indirect heat for 12-15 minutes
- Watch carefully not to burn as natural oils are released
- Carefully remove from Grill with Oven Mitts. Warn guests if cooked on hot tray. If kids have access, you may want to gingerly transfer Chips to cooler serving platter.
- Top with scoops of Sour Cream, Guacamole.
- Serve with Salsa, Jalapenos and (optional) Meat Topping on side if some guests are Vegetarians.
- With Vegans, use special Vegan Cheese
3. GRILLED CAESAR SALAD
Happy to spy several glorious heads of Romaine Lettuce in their home Cooling Closet, TASTEEBQ advised the hosts in an earnest voice: "Serve that store bought tray of Precut Carrots, Veggies and Dip if you must. But beware falling into the clutches of the evil villain Boren'GFood. To defeat him, you should toss the Veggies on the Grill for few minutes, sprinkle with your favorite prepared Dry Grill Seasoning Mix (or Rub), then return them to the Platter around the Dip.” [< Bonus Recipe Alert!<<].
He added: “In this Modern Age, guests with Vegetarian and Gluten Free tendencies will appreciate the extra effort. From what I hear, the Tribe of Vegan can get downright hostile if confronted with a cold storebought Veggie Platter as their only option. They usually can't even partake in the Dip.
This Caesar Salad recipe will please Carnivores and Vegetarians alike. Make a separate Bowl for the Vegans using Miso Caesar Dressing, and hold the Cheese.”
Basic Salad Technique
Our Hero had Jack rinse and dry 4 Heads of Romaine Lettuce, They chopped 2 Heads in half, drizzledwith olive oil and Grilled them for about 5-7 minutes (until lightly carmelized). Then they chopped all 4 Romaine Heads into 1 1/2 x 3 inch squares, mixing the Fresh and Grilled Lettuce. Jack tossed in Caesar Dressing, Croutons and Parmesan. They even put Chopped Fresh Basil and Cherry Tomatoes on top for even more flavor.
Romaine Lettuce- 1 Head per 2-4 people, depending on size and whether it is side dish or appetizer
Bread Roll- French or Sourdough
Garlic Butter or Herbed Olive Oil- 1/2 cup or enough to spread
Fresh Basil- 1 Cup or as needed
Parmesan Cheese- 1 Cup shaved or grated, as needed.
Cherry Tomatos (Grape, Chopped Heirloom or Roma Tomatoes Ok)
Caesar Dressing (Miso Caesar for Vegans)
Optional- Fritos, Doritos or Gluten Free Crackers
- Rinse and dry one Head of Romaine, cut in half, drizzle with olive oil and grill for about 5-7 minutes until lightly carmelized. Set aside to cool.
- For each carmelized head, clean and dry one Head of Fresh Romaine. Chop Lettuce into 1 1/2 x 3 inch squares, mix Fresh with the Grilled Lettuce.
- Toss with desired amount of Caesar Dressing, folding in some of the Basil and Parmesan Cheese.
- Move to serving Bowl, sprinkle with more Cheese. Add Tomatoes for color.
- Top with Croutons and a final dusting of Cheese with the Chopped Basil.
- Split a roll of French or Sourdough Bread in half and spread with Garlic Butter or Herb Seasoned Olive Oil.
- Grill on low heat for about 6-10 minutes, till toasted.
- Let cool slightly and chop Bread into 1 /2 inch squares to set aside.
Super Bowl Twist- Substitute large cracked Fritos or Doritos forCroutons
Gluten Free (GF) Alternative- Grill GF Bread and cut into cubes or use cracked GF Crackers. Or just skip Croutons, altogether. Also, make sure Dressing is Gluten-Free.
4. SMOKIN' HOT WINGS!Jill had encountered a blister pack of Precooked Chicken Wings while shopping in the Deli Dept., and thought "How Convenient." She planned to Bake them or toss 'em in the Microwave. TASTEEBQ suggested: “Girll! Let's take a detour to the Grill.”
TASTEEBQ commandeered the use of a Ziplock Bag, and seasoned the Precooked Wings with Dry Grill Seasoning. Then they Grilled the Wings on low indirect heat, for approx. 15-20 minutes, adding Wood Chips for smoked flavor.
Chicken Wings (sections, whole or pre-cooked)
Dry Grill Seasoning Mix or Barbeque Rub
Sauce- Buffalo Wing, Barbecue, or Teriyaki (Asian Sesame Dressing ok)
Garnish (optional), Celery/Carrot Sticks, Texas Toast, Chopped Green Onion
Bleu Cheese and/or Ranch Dressing
[Shortcut>>>] Start with pre-cooked wings from the grocery Deli Section. Don't Pass "Go". Proceed directly to Grill.
To Use Fresh Chicken:
- Generously marinate Wings with Grill Seasoning, set aside for at least 1/2 an Hour. Overnight is even better.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 15-30 minutes before proceeding to Grill
- Grill wings on low to medium indirect heat, for approx. 40 minutes
- Flip Wings occasionally, use Wood Chips for smoke flavor (replenish as needed)
- Once off grill wrap in Foil, and you can hold Wings in oven until ready to serve
For Precooked Wings
- Marinate Wings with Grill Seasoning and let sit at room temperature for about 15-30 minutes before proceeding to Grill
- Grill the Wings on low to medium indirect heat, for approx. 15-20 minutes
- Flip Wings occasionally, use soaked Wood Chips for smoke flavor, replenish as needed
- Remove from Grill, wrap in Foil, and you can hold Wings in oven until ready to serve
“For Buffalo Wings- Toss Wings in Franks Hot Wing Sauce, garnish with Carrot and Celery Sticks.
For Barbecue Wings- Toss Wings in your favorite Barbeque Sauce, garnish with Grilled Texas Toast.
For Teriyaki Wings- Toss Wings in your favorite Teriyaki Sauce (Asian Sesame Dressing is also OK), sprinkle with Chopped Green Onions.
Serve wings with Bleu Cheese and/or Ranch Dressing for dipping.
5. BISTRO SLIDERS
With some coaxing from his wife, Jack summoned up the power to resist the store’s Frozen Burger section. Instead, he proceeded to the Meat Dept. and brought home some perfect 80/20 Ground Beef. Detecting the presence of fresh meat at the party, TASTEEBQ gave Jack a High Five- and said: “This Recipe is also great for Picnics and Tailgating.”
Basic Burger Technique
They took 2 lbs Ground Beef (1/5-1/4lb. Beef per Carnivore) and seasoned with Salt, Pepper and
Worcestershire Sauce. Then they separated the meat into small Patties and Grilled for 10-16 minutes, depending on heat and desired doneness. Flipping Burgers at 4-7 minutes, they added a really good gourmet Cheese halfway thru second side.
After also Grilling the Mini Hamburger Buns, they allowed guests free will to choose from a vast array of Burger Condiments, including Tomatoes, Lettuce, Onions, Pickles, and Jalapenos. Also there were a variety of optional Sauces- 1000 Island Dressing, Herb Mayo (Mayo mixed with Dry Garlic/Italian Seasoning), Barbeque Sauce, Stoneground Mustard and Ketchup for the kids.
2 lbs Ground Beef (1/5 or 1/4 lb. beef for each Carnivore)
Mini Hamburger Buns (or Loaf of French or Sourdough Bread)
Cheese (Optional- Cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, Gruyere or Bleu Cheese)
Garnish (Sliced Pickles, Lettuce, Tomatoes)
1000 Island Dressing
Herb Mayo (Mayo mixed with Dry Garlic/Italian Seasoning)
- Season Beef with Salt, Pepper and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Massage seasonings evenly into Meat. Separate evenly into small balls to make Patties.
- Keep Meat chilled until ready to cook.
- Grill the Burgers on Medium High heat
- Flip Burgers at 4-7 minutes depending on desired doneness and heat of flame.
- Add Cheese halfway thru second side.
- Serve immediately or allow Patties to rest a minute on Sideor Serving Plate.
- If using Instant Read Thermometer Rare is 140, for Well Done 170.
-Transform a French or Sourdough Loaf into Mini Hamburger Buns (Hawaiian Rolls are also good.)
- Put sauces in Bowls next to Condiments (Tomates, Lettuce, Onions, Pickles, etc…)
- A Nifty Trick for doing Patty Platter is to put Rarest to the right, Medium in the middle, moving Well to the left.
Success!!! At no point throughout the Super Bowl Party did the villanous Boren'GFood dare rear his ugly head, to dampen the Fun. Those Burgers made Jack the King of the Hill. He and Jill celebrated with a Touchdown Dance after bidding Farewell to their final guests. TASTEEBQ did the Moonwalk, as well. Going back faster and faster, gliding backwards until he was Out-of-Sight(!). That is, until Valentine's Day...
Stay Tuned for more of The Adventures of TASTEEBQ...
To Print Recipes use this link to print ready recipe 5 Easy Recipe Print Page