Reading Text 1 (for question number 1 and 2)
Learn the following text and answer the questions that follow.
1. What is the name of the company?
A. Portage Golf Cart
B. Jack De Young
C. Sales, Service and repair
D. Maripoe Road
2. Which statement is not true about the company?
A. The company also offers services
B. The address of the company is 12080 Maripoe Rd.
C. Jack De Young works for the company
D. FL 34614 is the telephone number customers may contact
3. Besides service and repair, the company also offers 'sale'.
It means that customers can ... goods from the company.
Reading Text 2
4. What event is offered in the ads?
A. The Jakarta Post
B. 5 k Charity Run
D. Marketing Communication
5. Who organized the activity scheduled on 17 September 2006?
A. Hard Rock Hotel
B. The 6th Chapter
C. Bali Hotel
D. The Jakarta Post
6. Which of the following companies sponsors the activity?
A. Suara Merdeka
B. Tora Bika
C. Bali Bank
D. Merpati Airlines
Reading Text 3
7. Where can you see that notice?
A. At a bus station
B. At a railway station
C. At an airport
D. At a cinema
Reading text 4
Especially with newspaper and printed ads that are competing with other ads on the same page it is imperative that you get the readers' attention. You can accomplish this not only by color and size but also by having an eye catching headline. The possible way to develop the headline is to determine your products or services unique selling proposition. Why would the reader want to purchase what you are selling over a competing product? Another possibility is to list a unique benefit or solution in the headline that your product/service offers. Use action words when appropriate. The bottom lines should be compelling enough to cause the readers to want to read further for more information.
8. Which is not the three techniques to get the readers’ attention mentioned in the text?
C. eye catching headline
D. short sentences
9. Which of the three techniques is elaborated in this text?
C. eye catching headline
D. bottom line
10. Which one is not listed on the possible ways to create an eye-catching headline?
A. to determine your product’s or services unique selling proposition
B. to list a unique benefit or solution in the headline that your product/service offers
C. to use long words when appropriate
D. to make the bottom line compelling enough to cause the reader to want to read further for more information.
11. Why would the reader want to purchase what you are selling over a competing product?
The word 'to purchase' means to ....
Reading text 5
12. To make jelly, we need....
A. two packets of jelly crystals
B. 500 ml bowl
C. 250 ml of boiling water
D. 250 ml of cold water
13. We add boiling water to the ...before we stir the jelly crystals.
14. The word ... in the text means detailed information about how to do something.
15. Stir well until the crystals dissolve.
The underlined word most nearly means ....
C. come out
D. become warm
Reading Text 6
Gorillas are the largest of all the primates. A male gorilla can be 180 centimeters tall and can weigh 200 kilograms. Gorillas are very strong but they do not often fight. In fact they are peaceful animals.
Gorillas live in small family groups of about 15. In a group there is one strong, older male, some young males, and a few females with their babies. They move slowly around a large area of jungle eating leaves and bushes.
In some ways gorillas are very like humans. When they are happy, they laugh and wave their arms. When they are angry, they beat their chests. When they are sad, they cry. But they cry quietly, without any tears.
Unfortunately, people hunt and kill gorillas. They also cut down and burn their trees. There are now only about 10,000 gorillas left in the world.
(Source : Abbs, Brian, et.all. Take Off, Student Book 2, p 68)
16. The weight of a male gorilla can be ....
A. 15 kg
B. 180 kg
C. 200 kg
D. 10,000 g
17. Which statement is true about a gorilla?
A. A gorilla likes fighting.
B. A gorilla is a carnivorous animal
C. A gorilla is a peaceful animal
D. A gorilla usually lives alone
18. What does a gorilla eat?
19. In what ways are gorillas very like humans?
A. When they are happy they beat their chest.
B. When they are sad they wave their arms.
C. When they are angry they cry.
D. When they are sad they cry.
20. Why are there not many gorillas left?
A. People do not only hunt and kill gorillas but they also cut down and burn their trees.
B. There are now only about 10,000 gorillas left in the world.
C. Gorillas are the largest of all the primates.
D. In some ways gorillas are very like humans.
(To check your answers, please go to Kunci Jawaban Soal )
(To go to the next page, please click Latihan Soal UN Bahasa Inggris Kelas IX-p 2 )
Magelang, February 2011