100 Things About Me
1. I was born in June, the day before Father's Day.
2. My father was a career military man, my mother a school teacher.
3. I lived overseas (South Korea) and in every region of the United States before the age of 14.
4. I was born with a bone cyst in my left arm which wasn't discovered until I was eight years old.
5. Surgery to correct above-mentioned bone cyst left behind two large, freakishly ugly scars.
6. Because of them, I have a standing invitation to join the traveling circus.
7. I dreamed of being Wonder Woman when I was a girl and dressed the part with Woman Woman Underoos and strategically-placed toilet paper stuffing.
8. My first pet was a wiener dog I named "Jibba".
9. Subsequent pets included a plethora of cats, gerbils, parakeets, cockatiels, ducks, fish and a frog.
10. I accidentally killed my pet frog while trying to help it win a frog race.
11. I'm the oldest of five siblings, all girls.
12. I'm my parents' favorite.
13. I once stayed overnight at a new friend's house and when I woke up needing to go to the bathroom and couldn't find it in the dark, I wet their couch. It's my most embarrassing experience to this day.
14. I wore coke bottle glasses until I was twelve.
15. My first music album was Michael Jackson's "Thriller".
16. When I lived in Korea, I attracted the attention of Korean children everywhere we went because they'd never seen blond hair.
17. I was a champion tetherball player in elementary school.
18. I entered a poetry contest in fourth grade and won honorable mention for submitting TEN of them.
19. Pretty much a nerd in elementary school.
20. I took AP classes and played the flute in band in high school.
21. Pretty much a nerd in high school.
22. I taught myself how to back flip on the trampoline as a kid.
23. I'm 37 now and can still do it.
24. I have hazel eyes, dishwater blond hair and a ski-jump nose.
25. I reached six feet tall by the age of sixteen.
26. I ran into a pine tree in a parking lot while learning how to drive a stick shift.
27. I was too chicken to try out for volleyball in high school.
28. It's one of my biggest regrets to this day.
29. I played in a marching band in junior high and wore a polyester uniform and a feathered cap.
30. I lost a school spelling bee when I misspelled the word "Saturday".
31. I learned to play the piano as a kid but hated taking lessons. (Didn't need them anyway.)
32. My father tortured me when I was a kid by eating sweet pickles, chasing me down and breathing in my face. To this day, the smell of sweet pickles makes me gag.
33. My best subject in school was English.
34. Math sucked. It still does.
35. I practiced my kissing techniques on my hand and on the mirror as a teenager.
36. I'm a great kisser now.
37. I got my ears pierced when I was 12, then had to have one of the earrings surgically removed when my earlobe got infected and grew over it.
38. I worked through high school at a pizza joint.
39. I smelled like pepperoni for three years.
40. I had a TOTAL crush on a guy who worked with me. He didn't know I existed.
41. I once wrote a fan letter to a college basketball player I admired. He never wrote back.
42. My high school mascot was a Bruin and my colors were cardinal red, white and gold. I can still remember the words to our fight song.
43. I made fun of my junior class science teacher's last name for an entire year, then ended up marrying a man with the same last name.
44. My junior prom was with a date a couple inches shorter than me.
45. I bent my knees for the picture so I'd appear the same height as him.
46. It's obvious in the picture I'm bending my knees.
47. I drove a huge, ugly, brown car dubbed "The Banana Boat" in high school.
48. I once had a guy ask for my phone number because I "looked just like Julia Roberts". I gave him a fake one.
49. I graduated from high school with a 3.7 GPA and received a full-tuition scholarship for my first year of college.
50. I thought I was so smart.
51. Little did I know.
52. I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 19 and almost passed out when I felt the pressure of the scalpel.
53. I left home for college, met my husband and never made it back home.
54. I have an associate degree in Social Work but have never worked in the field.
55. I've been married for 18 years and have two daughters, ages 15 and 9.
56. I'm too young to have a teenager. I'm scared to death of having a teenager.
57. I'm obsessive about using correct spelling and grammar in my own writing.
58. I think dragonflies are cool and I love daisies.
59. I sing and dance to music on the stereo when I'm alone.
60. I've never had a speeding ticket.
61. I don't know how to whistle.
62. I do my hair without the lights on because I think it looks better in the dark.
63. I like to eat ice cream straight out of the box when I can get away with it.
64. I don't drink coffee, but a can of Pepsi will keep me wired for hours.
65. My favorite holiday is the Fourth of July. Christmas exhausts me.
66. I'm a little claustrophobic. Actually... a lot.
67. I wake up in the middle of the night and eat chocolate chips with peanut butter.
68. I can only tolerate skim milk.
69. My sisters are my best friends.
70. From my days as a Southerner, I have an affinity for crawdads, shrimp creole and fried okra.
71. I much prefer silver jewelry over gold.
72. I paint my toenails once a week.
73. I don't shave my legs nearly as often as I should.
74. I have bad eyes but perfect teeth.
75. I enjoy visiting the dentist just for the laughing gas.
76. I can sing along to the lyrics of almost every Barry Manilow or Neil Diamond song. (Not that I would actually want to... pft.)
77. I've had published a few articles I've written in the community interest section of the local newspaper.
78. I'm reasonably intelligent until I watch a movie with a complicated plot. Napoleon Dynamite is one of my favorite movies.
79. I know how to juggle. (Queue the music...)
80. I inherited my father's copious sweat glands.
81. I can carry on a lengthy, knowledgeable conversation about football with any guy.
82. I wear a size 9 shoe, but sometimes try to squeeze into an 8 1/2.
83. I like really hot, turn-my-skin-beet-red showers.
84. I am an excellent driver. No, really... I am.
85. I have a fairly pleasant singing voice.
86. I'm fascinated with U.S. History, but I hate politics.
87. I want to take a tour of lighthouses on the eastern seaboard before I die. That and Italy.
88. I work as a medical biller; procedure codes and insurance companies are the bain of my existence.
89. I'm not a very good cook but I can follow a recipe really well.
90. I had lobster for the first time in my life three years ago and thought it was overrated.
91. Cheesecake, on the other hand, I could live on.
92. My hips and thighs are evidence of that.
93. I took two years of Spanish in college, but would be in big trouble if I were ever stuck in Mexico needing anything more than a bathroom or an enchilada.
94. I sleep on my side in the fetal position with a pillow over my head.
95. I make my bed every morning and I'm a little obsessive about how it's made.
96. I can see some sort of livestock out of every window of my house.
97. My children have two pet parakeets-- Charlie and Hermione. I am tempted every day to accidentally open their cage and inadvertently let them fly out the front door. (Did I say that out loud?)
98. If I could have one superpower, I'd want the ability to read minds. (I hate trying to guess what people are thinking.)
99. I run even when I don't feel like running. I run especially when I don't feel like runninig.
100. I am a pleasant, easygoing, warmhearted, down-to-earth, glass-is-half-full, take-it-as-it-comes kind of gal who is thankful for life and all the things that make living it a joy.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.