Our History‎ > ‎

Budapest Cemetery

Budapest Cemetery
 
    This small cemetery was established at the turn of the twentieth century by Hungarian immigrants. The cemetery, containing about 20 graves, has a large arch gateway entrance and a split rail fence along the roadway. It appears that no burials have taken place here since 1956.
 
 
    
    According to local history, those buried here were of the Hungarian Colony migrating to Haralson County, GA where they tried to establish a wine colony. Historical records in Georgia refer to these immigrants as Hungarians or Magyar, regardless of their ethnicity, due to their former citizenship. The cemetery was established in 1900. Some of the deceased were put to rest by undertaker R.J. Miller of Tallapoosa.
 
 
Location: East of Tallapoosa, GA on Landfill Rd, off Hwy 78.
 
N 33° 42.265 W 085° 13.467
16S E 664544 N 3730798
 
Other Resources: