1 cup warm water
3 cups of bread flour
2 TBS white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
3 TBS sugar
1 TSP cornmeal
1 egg white
Toppings if you wish: shredded asiago cheese, poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, rock salt, cinnamon sugar...
1. Put the first 5 ingredients, in the order listed, into your bread machine. Set on Dough Cycle. When complete, place dough on a lightly floured surface. Shape into 8-10 balls, flatten them, and then poke hole in the middle. (Make it big, because the dough will rise.)
2. Cover bagels with a clean dish towel, and let rise. I placed mine on a lightly floured cutting board, then in a barely warm oven with a bowl of hot water to rise. Place a warm damp dish towel over them while they are rising. Mine rose for a full 60 min. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Dissolve 3 Tbsp of sugar in the boiling water.
3. Sprinkle an ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal. Heat oven to 375. Transfer bagels to boiling water. (My pot holds about 4 at a time.) Boil for 1 minute, turning halfway through. Remove bagels and place on dish towel to drain.
4. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze top with egg white. I used cracked pepper and finely grated old cheddar for my toppings.
5. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes. Mine took 30 minutes.
This is an allrecipes.com recipe.