Travel Funds & Info

Religion department travelers,

If you are planning to travel this semester to an academic conference, there are two immediate avenues you can explore for funding: the REL department travel grant and the GSO (Graduate Student Organization) travel grant.  In order to be eligible for the GSO travel grant, you *must* also apply for the REL travel grant. 

1 - REL travel grant application: Please note that you need a sponsor's (i.e.: your adviser's) signature as well as a few sentences about why you need the grant (i.e.: you're presenting a paper, interviewing, etc.).  The department will review all submitted applications and notify us of the amounts we have been granted before the GSO application deadline so that we can include the necessary information on this second application.

***Please see Jackie in the Religion Department main office to receive travel grant application forms. 

2 - GSO travel grant application: The GSO gives preference to those of us who are presenting papers at a conference, although arguments can and are successfully made about the importance of networking at a given conference.  To that end, *don't not apply if you're not presenting a paper*.  Note also that you'll need a faculty signature on this form as well and, as the form states, "the department chair must provide a letter of support and details of funding."  Professor Watts knows of this requirement and will provide the appropriate documentation.  Finally, note that the GSO smiles fondly on cost sharing, so play up your plans to split costs with other students! 

surel grads,
Nov 9, 2014, 10:08 AM