Home‎ > ‎

Past Feature Articles

For over fifteen years now, our sewing group has been meeting at the Sylvania Heritage Museum.  Formerly known as the Sunday Sewers, the group makes many handcrafted items for sale in our gift shop, the Waiting Room.  They work with quality cotton fabric as they sew beautiful totebags, purses, table runners, coasters and placemats when they meet Sunday afternoons at the museum.  Also acting as docents when visitors come by, the ladies enjoy the social interaction, as well as supporting our historical society financially.  In fact, over $450 has been generated from sewn items from January through October 2009….quite impressive!  Members, do you recall the pretty sachets, dolls, pillows, ornaments and pillowcases in our gift shop over the years?  The items being created and sold now are even better!  Remember, members get 10% off on gift shop purchases, so support our Sunday Stitchers and shop at the Museum!  A hand quilted purse will make a lovely gift, and items can even be made to order.  THANK YOU, SUNDAY STITCHERS!!


The Sylvania school system did not have kindergarten classes until 1955. In 1949 a group of young mothers belonging to the Child Conservation League started to make plans for a private kindergarten and in January, 1950, began classes in the basement of the old Methodist Church on North Main Street.

After three or four years in that location, the kindergarten was moved to a chicken coop. (Possibly behind a house on South Main St. facing Convent Blvd.) The building was refurbished for classroom use and the mothers took turns with the janitorial work.
Remember when...
Henry Ruedi had a tile kiln near Mitchaw and Sylvania-Metamora? There was a 5 acre baseball field along Mitchaw with a grandstand brought from Trilby?

Sylvania had an Apple Festival?

Sylvania had an Apple Festival for a few years starting in 1980. It was held during October at Burnham Park. Activities  included a parade, entertainment, games for children, apple dessert contest, and all kinds of food.

The first two Apple Festivals were used for improvements at Burnham Park, including renovation of the bandstand.



The Sandusky Cement Company at Sandusky, Ohio was organized in 1892 using the trade name of Medusa.  In 1929 the name was officially changed from Sandusky-Medusa Cement Company to Medusa Portland Cement Company.  The Medusa Cement Plant was constructed in 1922 on Centennial Road.  The operation involved both quarrying and processing.  A ride down Centennial Road would have taken you past 85 foot high storage bins, whitened buildings and large quarrying pits.  The plant had a capacity of 280,000 tons of Portland cement a year.  About 200 men were employed.  To entice key men to positions at the plant the company built Medusa Gardens in 1923 on Centennial Road. 
Eleven one story homes were built and others were added later.  The homes were supplied with electricity from the plant’s generators.  Some of the long time employees were, Leroy Schoenegge, Eddie Kroll, Frank Madore, Albert Reed, Walter Shanley, and Fred Ritenour.  The plant was permanently closed on December 23, 1979.


Centennial Road had long been the site of numerous quarries. The 1875 Atlas lists nine

families as owning quarries on both sides of the road.

 (from April-May-June 2009 newsletter)  




An arsonist struck Sylvania around 1912. He worked for the Cement Block Company. Among other buildings, he burned down Huling’s saw mill, which was on the north bank of Ten Mile Creek, near Burnham High School.  He was discovered, arrested, jailed, then eventually escaped to Canada.


In 1921, The Franciscan Sisters at the convent began to use electricity, and had electric lights, instead of the kerosene lamps they had been using.


During World War II the Jeep testing ground was in Sylvania Township. This testing ground lay between McCord Road and the Township building, north to Brint Road, and back to where McCord Junior High School is now located.


Mr. Albert Niles (a tester for the Overland Motor Car Company, later Jeep) drove the first Overland car to California before the day of improved roads.