Lodge History


Order of the Black Arrow

The Order of the Black Arrow was active at Camp Fawcett in 1928. This was the first Indian group to be organized in the council. Troop 2, of Brownwood, Texas, who came to summer there in 1928, brought the concept of this organization back to their own troop after summer camp and eventually organized a similar "Tribe of the Black Arrow" in 1930 in the then Pecan Valley Council.

A story appeared in the West Texas Scout News on September 8, 1937, concerning the revival of the Secret Order of the Black Arrow at Camp Fawcett during the summer camp held there in August 8-21, 1937. Only the best campers were elected to the society and it was one of the highest honors at camp.

The society admitted thirteen Scouts the first week and six the second week. No reference was made as to when the group was originally started at Camp Fawcett or if it was also part of the program at Camp Louis Farr that same summer.  We know that Willie Masters, a patrol leader in Troop 91, Eagle Pass, was inducted into the Society that summer. He remembers having a cedar wreath placed over his shoulder during the ceremony.

Kunieh Camp Society

In 1922, Arthur E. Roberts, Scout Executive and Camp Director of Camp Friedlander of the Cincinnati Area Council, founded the Tribe of Ku-Ni-Eh. It was founded as a Brotherhood of Honor Campers who exemplified the Scout Oath and Law. The Ku-Ni-Eh became almost as popular as the Order of the Arrow and was used by many other councils because they felt that the Order of the Arrow wanted too large of a fee to join. The Tribe of Ku-Ni-Eh was used by the Cincinnati Council until the early 1950’s. In 1951 their members chose to join forces with the Order of the Arrow and thus became the Ku-Ni-Eh Lodge #462. It is now Lodge #145, following a merger into the Dan Beard Council.

Brice Draper organized the Kunieh Camp Society during summer camp at Camp Connellee in 1929. The camp was located on the banks of the North Concho River about sixteen miles northeast of San Angelo. J. T. Henderson, Senior Patrol Leader of Troop 2, Ralph Logan and John Logan, were tapped out to be  members of the Kunieh Camp Society along with several other Scouts.  Members of the Society were dressed in Indian costume and printed a black diamond on the candidates' foreheads during the tap out ceremony.

Brice Draper, as Camp Director, made a talk to the new candidates about the Society and their responsibilities as honor campers. Then, Henderson and the other candidates, were required to sleep out overnight apart from the other Scouts of their troop, keep a fire going all night, and meditate. Upon completion of this task, they washed themselves to purify themselves early the next morning. They then went back to their troops but were required to remain on silence for the rest of the day.

Upon completion of all the requirements for membership in the Society, a "black diamond" was stamped on their belt by members of the Kunieh Camp Society. During the early days of Scouting, each Scout has numerous emblems stamped on their belt to signify certain accomplishments while at camp.  The black diamond was one of the highest honors that could be displayed on a Scout’s belt. The society was active through September 1932.

A group was active in the Heart-O-Texas Council, Waco, and also in the Comanche Trail Council, Brownwood.  In the latter council, the group was organized in 1935 and was active until 1945. 

Order of the Arrow

Charles "Chuck" Taylor, waterfront director at Camp Louis Farr, was named Lodge Chief of the newly organized "Arrow Point Lodge" of the national "Order of the Red Arrow."  The Lodge was organized during summer camp at Camp Louis Farr, June 7-21, 1941.

In visiting with Taylor by phone, he was able to share several things that he remembers happening at camp that summer.  He was seventeen years old at the time, was on the City of San Angelo Swim Team, and Eagle Scout in Troop 6 (1937), and had served as Patrol Leader of the Hyenia Patrol.  He had been selected to be in the Order while serving on the camp staff that summer for his outstanding service to camp and to his troop.

He remembers that the professional staff in camp put on the ceremony and that Paul Ireland used a wand to tap out candidates.  They wore no costumes except their camp uniform.  He was elected as the first lodge chief by the other members.  He indicated that some sort of group already existed prior to that summer.  This was probably the Knish Camp Society.  He also remembers that there were no books to read from; that they created a ceremony for the tap out and induction ceremony.

In visiting with C. A. McDonald, Jr. of San Angelo in 1989, he said that each troop picked out boys for membership according to the number in their troop at camp for membership.  Everything to do with the Order of the Arrow happened only in camp.  There were no other activities held during the year.  The Scouts were tapped out at the campfire on Thursday night.  When they were tapped out a briar wreath was placed around their neck and they remained at the campfire until everyone else left.

Instructed to Build a Fire  

They were told to get a blanket and report back to the flagpole where they were placed on silence and told they would be "dumped off some place in the wilderness."  Each person received two matches and instructed that they would build a fire and keep it going all night.  A leader led them around to the site through the thickest brush they could find.  They were led over logs, through the edge of the river, etc.  He remembers it being a "long night."  Each wore their briar wreath until they got his fire going and then burned the wreath.  They returned to the flag pole the next morning.

The next day they worked at the mess hall, cleaning the camp latrine and other special projects. Most of them got a twig and chewed on the bark all day so that they wouldn't speak.

At the end of the ceremony that night, they received a card and a felt OA Sash with a red arrow stamped on it.  Emmett D. Cox, Council President, and Henry Ragsdale, Council Commissioner, were voted as honorary members of the lodge. James M. Young, who was inducted into the Order of the Arrow in the late 40’s, remembers that they were also required to select an Indian name during their night alone.

Elected to Membership  

Those elected to membership that summer at Camp Louis Farr were: Wilbur McCannon and C. H. Taylor, Scoutmaster, Troop 2, San Angelo; Claude R. Stone, Troop 30, Ballinger; Horace Rees and Joe Ballinger; Scoutmaster Reeves, Troop 59, Fr. Stockton; J. B. Morris, Scoutmaster, Troop 55, Texon; Scoutmaster Mitchell, Troop 50, McCamey; Max Lowry, Ft. Stockton; C. A. McDonald, Scoutmaster, Troop 32, San Angelo; and Startton Beesley, assistant waterfront director.

The author has been unable to find records or newspaper stories about the Order of the Arrow being used at Camp Fawcett during the summer of 1941.  However, those elected to membership into the Order of the Arrow that first summer at Camp Louis Farr were:

Troop 2, San Angelo - Wilbur McCannon and C. H. Taylor, Scoutmaster 
Troop 30, Ballinger - Claude R. Stone 
Troop 31, McCamey - Scoutmaster Mitchell 
Troop 32, San Angelo - C. A. McDonald 
Troop 55, Texon - J. B. Morris 
Troop 58, Big Lake - Horace Rees and Joe Dougherty 
Troop 59, Ft. Stockton - J. F. Reves 
Others - Assistant Waterfront Director Stratton Beesley, A. C. Doyal of Brady and Bill Hampton of Ballinger.

OA at Camp Fawcett  

Dr. Sterling Fly, Jr., of Uvalde, believed that the OA was started at Camp Fawcett in 1941, the same time as it was started at Camp Louis Farr.   A story appeared in a newspaper on July 2, 1943, paper unknown, giving an account of a week’s camp completed at Camp Fawcett, June 20 - 27, by Troop 96 of Crystal City and Troop 9096 of Winter Haven.  In the story a mention was made of the Order of the Arrow.  The story was telling about all the various awards that Troop 96 had earned at camp that summer.

The story told of two of their troop members, Bob Fly and Harold Harkey, who were members of the Camp’s Junior Staff, “received the second Degree (Brotherhood) in the Order of the Arrow, the highest camp award” during camp that summer.  This would indicate that the Order was started in 1941, when the two Scouts would have received the “First Degree,“ (Ordeal) as their names were not again mentioned when the story went on to state that three other Scouts in the troop had received the “First Degree” the previous year in 1942.  Scouts Jimmy Mortensen, Bob Baker and Mike Moore were the three Scouts to receive this honor for their work as Patrol Leaders in their troop.




First Brotherhood Members Inducted  

Thirteen members were inducted into the Brotherhood Honor in 1943 at Camp Louis Farr.  This is the first recorded record that we have of members being inducted into this honor in addition to Boy Fly and Harold Harkey being inducted at Camp Fawcett that same summer.

Those inducted at Camp Louis Farr were:

Don Baldwin, Alfred Carthen, Wesley Fox, B. J. Hart, Hardin Jones, Rothnal O’Kelly, Bob Sykes, Clilfford Taylor, Jr., Dick Tucker, Francis Ward, Dwain Dodson, H. S. Guthrie and Paul Ward.

Meaning of “Wahinkto”

Wahinkto is the Blackfoot word meaning “Arrowpoint.”  The lodge totem was the arrowhead, later changed to the running deer, which is still is today.  The Lodge Number 199 identifies the lodge as the 199th lodge to be chartered by the Order of the Arrow. 

Lodge Totem

The first lodge totem was the arrowhead.  Dr. Jack Wright of Big Lake recalls that when he served as a physician at Camp Louis Farr during the summer of 1942, that each new arrowman was presented with the lodge totem.  It was a white woven plastic lanyard with a flint arrowhead in it. The totem was worn around your neck.

Later, when the running deer was selected by the lodge as the lodge totem, a new lanyard was designed and it is still in use today.  This lodge totem is a piece of deer antler treaded on a leather thong and worn around the neck.  An overhand knot is tied on each side of the antler to hold it in place on the thong.  A second antler is added to the thong for the Brotherhood honor.  When a person receives the Vigil Honor, the thongs are each tied into a simple overhead knot at the end of the thongs.  The deer antler is cut into one inch lengths and a hole is drilled through the center of the piece so that the leather thong may be threaded through it.

First Lodge Patch


James M. Young, a Vigil member of the lodge, related the following story about the first patch.“About 1950, Jim Strother, Ray Hall Beck and I developed the design for the first Wahinkto Lodge.  The arrowhead was chosen because of he many arrowheads found in the vicinity of the Camp Louis Farr dining hall.  The patch was to be placed on a sky blue triangle neckerchief.  The neckerchief was to have a one inch white border.  The patch was not adopted for wear on the uniform.”

The patch was a three inch round patch with a red twill background and had a gold border.  Around the top of the circle were the words “Wahinkto Lodge” with “WWW” around the bottom of the patch.  In the center of the patch was a gold arrowhead with “199” embroidered in blue.  A blue arrow went from left to right behind the arrowhead at an upward angle.



The first lodge patch, designed to be worn on the uniform, was very similar to the current patch. The main difference is that the arrow at the top of the patch pointed to the right instead of the left when looking at the patch.  This was the correct position of the patch at the time in that an arrowman worn his sash over his left shoulder until he became a Brotherhood member, when he would transfer it to the right shoulder.  We are not sure when this patch was made except that it was sometime between 1950 and 1956.  At the time the brown running deer became the totem of the lodge in place of the arrownhead. In 1957, a second patch was designed and issued.  The arrow was switched to the right in keeping with the new requirements on the sash.  Unfortunately, the name “Wahinkto” was misspelled and they had to issue yet another patch with the correct spelling on it.  Later, another patch was designed with a white deer on it just for Brotherhood members.

Lodge Neckerchief

J. T. Henderson, in the fifties, designed the lodge neckerchief.  He thought it would be unique to take the lodge name “Wahinkto” and arrange it to look like a deer’s head.  The neckerchief patch is black on red and worn on a white neckerchief.





OA Section Conferences


Wahinkto Lodge has hosted several Section Conclaves over the years.

9-D ConferenceAugust 2-4, 1963 Camp Sol Mayer 
9-D ConferenceAugust 1970 Camp Sol Mayer 
3-B ConclaveAugust 1-3, 1975 Angelo State University 
3-B ConclaveMay 1-3, 1981 Camp Sol Mayer 






Two Have Served as Section Chiefs

Steve Joyce, Vigil member of San Angelo, served as Section 3-B Chief in 1976 and was responsible for helping to put together a joint 3-A and 3-B conference held at Baylor University in Waco August 6-9, 1976.  Fifty-one arrowmen from this lodge participated in the weekend along with over 1,000 arrowmen in the combined section conference.  One of the highlights of the weekend was the participation of E. Urner Goodman, founder of the Order of the Arrow, in the activities at Baylor.

Lance Lunsford also served as Section Chief for South Central Region Section 1 in 1995 and 1996. Both Section Conclaves were held at Sam Houston State University in August.

Lodge Chiefs

In the beginning of Wahinkto Lodge a Lodge Chief was named for each week of summer camp.  The only activities of the lodge were the induction of new members at the end of each week of summer camp so there was no need for a year-round lodge chief.

There is no known record of the first lodge chiefs of Wahinkto Lodge.  In 1951, when the lodge went to year-round lodge chiefs, their names were recorded on the annual Order of the Arrow Lodge Charter and became a matter of record.  During 1986, the lodge changed its term of office from January 1 through December 31 of each year to September 1 through August 30th.  Thus, you will find, starting with Russell Massey, that their term of office overlapped two years even though they served only for a twelve month term.  The lodge went back to the first of the year starting in 1993.

1941Charles “Chuck” TaylorCamp Louis Farr

1981

Tony Chambless

San Angelo
1942Unknown-1982 Frankie Sablan San Angelo
1943
Wesley Fox (week 1)
Clifford Taylor, Jr.

Camp Louis Farr

1983

Frankie Sablan

San Angelo
1944          Unknown 1984             Wes Harrell  San Angelo 
1945Unknown-1985 James Berger San Angelo
1946Unknown-1986 Robert Kronenberg Del Rio
1947Unknown-1986Russell Massey Del Rio
1948Unknown1987Monty GibsonSan Angelo

1949
Bill Marshall
Homer Gathings
Camp Louis Farr
Camp Fawcett 

1988

Robert J. Brown  

Del Rio
1950 Unknown 1989Christopher J. Looney    Uvalde
1951 Ronald Kelso Brady1990 William F. HarlowSan Angelo 
1952 Ronald Kelso Brady1990 Daryl BoxSan Angelo
1953 Johnny Sheedy III Brackettville1991 Danny CasillasDel Rio
1954 Lionel Galvan Crystal City1992 Danny CasillasDel Rio
1955 Michael Kennedy   Uvalde1993 David O’NeillSan Angelo
1956 Wayne Anderson  Del Rio1994 David O’Neill San Angelo
1957 Wayne Anderson Del Rio1995 Donnie Lunsford San Angelo
1958 Gordon McGonsgill  Del Rio1996 Wayne Graham San Angelo
1959 Gordon McGonsgill Del Rio1997 Rickey Medina San Angelo
1960 Dick Wyatt San Angelo1998 Louis TorresFt. Stockton
1961 Jim Runge Christoval1999 Roger Lopez San Angelo  
1962 Jim Runge Christoval2000 Luke L. Burnett San Angelo  
1963 John Pipkin San Angelo2001 Eric Albert San Angelo  
1964Keith Winslow Menard2002 Jason M. White San Angelo
1965 Randy HoldridgeSan Angelo2003 Adrian GarciaDel Rio
1966 Roland Lee IredaleSan Angelo2004 Adrian GarciaDel Rio
1967 John Bob Cody San Angelo2005 Matt Bignall San Angelo
1968 Claude Townsend Ft. Stockton2005 Peter Perez San Angelo
1969 David Perry San Angelo2006 Peter Perez San Angelo  
1970 Terry Younggren Ft. Stockton2007 Bryan Sablan San Angelo  
1971 Barry Heath San Angelo2008 Humberto “Beto” Torres Jr.Uvalde
1972 Barry Heath San Angelo2009 Dustin ForadoryUvalde
1973 John Kennedy San Angelo2010 Dylan DeLaRosa San Angelo
1974 Edward J. Trust  Eagle Pass2011 Kyle Sharp     San Angelo
1975 Eddie Heath San Angelo2012 Robert “Bob” A. TorresUvalde
1976 Steve EvansMertzon2013 Jason Walker San Angelo
1977 Tom Steckbeck San Angelo2014Heath Lange San Angelo   
1978 Peter Mikel San Angelo2015  Branden ParadisDel Rio 
1979 Peter Mikel San Angelo
2016
Cameron Paradis  Del Rio
1980 Alex Kedziora San Angelo   

Lodge Advisers

Lodge Advisers are the unsung heroes of the Wahinkto Lodge.  They are responsible, as volunteers, to see that the lodge stayed in the hands of the youth.  But they are also responsible to see that the lodge functions according to the rules of the Order of the Arrow. In 2013, Wayne Graham's appointment made him the first member to serve as both Lodge Chief and Lodge Adviser of Wahinkto Lodge.

1948-1949
"Camp Farr Tribe"
Vernon Bucher
Joe Lindle

1991

Edward Stewart
1948-1949
"Camp Fawcett Tribe"
Homer Gathings
Elmer Fawcett

1992

Lloyd Deaton
1960-1961G. Howard Briggs1993-1995Jim Nennich
1962-1970Robert C. "Bob" Warner1996-1998Gary Shrum
1971-1975Thomas Rainey1999Jimmy “Butch” Simpson
1975-1976Lawrence "Bub" Williams2000-2001Mike Robertson
1976-1980Ray Kedziora2002-2006Jerry White
1981-1982Richard Benton2007-2008Tom McKeel
1983-1984Victor Meza Sr.2008-2009Bo Strickland
1985-1988Lace E. "Gene" Hinnard2010-2013Dan Walker
1989-1990
Co-Advisers
Roy Douglass
Robert Kennedy

2013-2015

Wayne Graham
1990Robert Kennedy 2016 - PresentMarshall Perkins 

Founder’s Award

The Founder’s Award was created by the Order of the Arrow to honor and recognize those Arrowmen who have given outstanding service to the Lodge.  The bronze medallion bearing the likeness of E. Urner Goodman and Carroll A. Edson is reserved for an Arrowman who demonstrates to his fellow Arrowman that he memorializes in his everyday life the spirit of achievement as described by our founder.


1994

Youth

 David O'Neil

2006

Youth 

Bryan Sablan 

1994

Adult 

Lloyd Deaton 

2006

Adult 

Humberto "Beto" Torres Sr.

1999

Youth 

Robert Burnett 

2011

Youth 

Robert "Bob" A. Torres

2004

Youth 

Adrian Garcia

2011

 Adult

Murry Kachel 

2004

Adult 

Jerry White 

2013

Youth 

Elijah "Wes" Sharp 

2005

Youth 

Peter Perez 

2013

Adult 

Wynn Alston 

 

 

 

 2014

Adult 

 Mike Wallace


Leadership in Service Award

Between 2005 and 2007, the National Order of the Arrow Committee created the Leadership in Service Award to recognize both youth and adult members completing a set number of hours of service on community and lodge levels.

The award was given over three years with first year recipients receiving a red acrylic pocket arrow suspended from on a blue device and second and third year recipients receiving silver and gold palms, respectively. 

The "Leadership in Service Award" was first presented for 2005 at the Annual Winter Banquet in January 2006, at Camp HEB in Leakey, Texas. Lawson Kemp, Peter Perez, Humberto “Beto” Torres Jr., and Humberto “Beto” Torres Sr. at the Annual Winter Banquet in January 2008, were recognized as being recipients of the National OA "Leadership in Service Award" for all three years.

200520062007
Raymond AffleckLawson KempChris Calk
Chris CalkConnor McKeelNathan Calk
Nathan CalkTom McKeelDustin Foradory
Jared DucotePeter Perez Laura Foradory 
Jeremy GrauePat RamosDavid Kemp
Matt HuroBryan SablanLawson Kemp
Chris JohnsonSteve Silvia Connor McKeel  
David KempHumberto “Beto” Torres Jr. Tom McKeel
Lawson KempHumberto “Beto” Torres Sr. Peter Perez
Tom McKeelMark Zamora Pat Ramos
Peter Perez  Linda Ramos
Matthew Smart  Bryan Sablan
Humberto “Beto” Torres Jr.  George Silva
Humberto “Beto” Torres Sr.  Steve Silva
Dan Walker  Matthew Smart 
  Humberto “Beto” Torres Jr.
  Humberto “Beto” Torres Sr.
   Jason White
 
Jerry White
  Mark Zamora

Distinguished Service Award

Edward J. Trust, Lodge Chief of Wahinkto Lodge in 1974, was presented the Distinguished Service Award during ceremonies at the National Order of the Arrow Conference held at Fort Collins, Colorado in August 1979.  Trust, an Eagle Scout, graduated from Angelo State University and was serving as a 1st Lt. In the United States Air Force, stationed in Denver. Colorado. While in the Concho Valley Council, he was active on both a Section and National level in the Order of the Arrow, serving mostly on the Shows Committee.

Frank T. Hilton, in 1983 Program Director.  It was presented to him for having served as OA Section Staff Adviser in Sections 9-B, 3-B and IV for many years.  He served as Lodge Staff Adviser for the Tonkawa Lodge and Tejas Lodge prior to moving to Concho Valley Council in 1974,  In this Lodge, he served as Staff Adviser for the Wahinkto Lodge from 1974 through 1987, and again from 1989 through 1990.  Upon becoming the Scout Executive in Comanche Trail Council, Brownwood, he served as Staff Adviser of the Otena Lodge from 1991 until his retirement from professional Scouting in January 1997.


Curtis B. Dyer Award


The Wahinkto Lodge had tied with Karankawa Lodge for the 
Curtis B. Dyer Award in 1968, but on May 3, 1981, Sammy Sablan, 
Frankie Sablan, Wes Harrell and Mike Fanning brought home the Award, having earned it outright.  The lodge won it two more times, the last time during competition held at the OA Section IV Conclave at Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls, Texas, and retired the trophy.  This was the year the Section changed.  During this time in the lodge history, the youth were very interested in Indian dancing and in Section Conclave competition.


James E. West Award

The James E. West Award was established by the Boy Scouts of America to recognize a special financial commitment to Scouting in the form of a $1,000 donation to the Council Endowment Fund. The award is named after the first Chief Scout Executive of the Boy Scouts of America. Wahinkto Lodge honored its first Arrowman at their 2007 lodge banquet by sponsoring a James E. West Award recipient. 

2006Jerry White 2010 Kyle Sharp 2011 Wynn Alston 

Brotherhood Of Cheerful Service

November, 2008 there were no Troops signed up for camp, there was no staff lined up and the Southern Region of the BSA did not want this council to have camp.  Why?? You ask…well, the council as a whole has operated with a deficit in its budget for the last two years.  At the same time, summer camp as a program has lost money for the council in 2006, 2007 and 2008 – totaling $21,000. 

As I visited with leaders and Scouters from across our council, it became apparent that the volunteers wanted us to have camp and they wanted to support it, they just wanted to see some positive improvements.  So we came to the first hill we had to climb – The Southern Region.  After looking at the summer camp budget for the last few years, it was obvious that there was only one way there would be camp at Sol Mayer this year and that would be with an all volunteer staff.  When I presented this “possible” solution to the powers at be, the answer back was “wishful thinking” or “dream on”.  Even after talking to several people here in our council there remained some skepticism as to whether or not a small council like ours with limited resources could actually pull off summer camp with an all volunteer staff.

The first announcement of summer camp plans happened at HEB weekend with the Order of the Arrow members. There was a strong response. Lodge Chief, Beto Torres, had already been talking up the event with his fellow arrowmen and had a strong small base of prospective volunteers. At a fireside chat with leaders at HEB the response was overwhelmingly positive that we should continue to have summer camp and that it would be supported.

Adults: 
Jerry White, Tammy Vercher, Wynn Alston, Stephen Meuth, Brandy Williams, Butch Simpson, Dathan Simpson, Bill Petrazzuolo.
Youth: 
James Anderson, Trent Bailey, Clayton Binns, Patrick Buren, Holland Cogdell, Will Cogdell, Dustin Foradory, Danny Herrera, Kyler Hunger, Lawson Kemp, Winston Kemp, John Kirgis, Tyler Lassiter, Rene Mancha, Cody Pruit, David Puente, Roman Verdusco, D.J. Simpson, Michael Petrazzuolo, Beto Torres, Bob Torres, Jason Walker, Justus Young, Kevin Young, Zach Young.

The lodge continued to provide a volunteer staff for the summer of 2010 and 2011. 

Vigil Reunion

At the 2008 Spring Ordeal the Vigil Ceremony that was to be preformed that night was canceled due to thunderstorms. The vigils meet that night in the dinning hall at Camp Sol Mayer to discuss plans of when to complete the inductions of those Vigil Candidates. Gil Giltz and Tony Giltz visiting from Aneptu-We Lodge #100 who had traveled from Missouri to be guides for current Lodge Chief, Humberto "Beto" Torres Jr., offered a suggestion. Their lodge holds an annual vigil reunions for purposes that further the Vigil Honor. The Wahinkto Vigils agreed that this would a great opportunity for a new tradition.

A New Tradition

The first Vigil Reunion was held that same year later in August, and lead by Brad McCormick and Jason White. Past Lodge Chiefs, Lodge Advisers, and other respected members of the Lodge were in attendance at that first reunion. 

The Vigil Reunion grew in popularity over the next few years drawing and the quality of the ceremony was improving, and the need for a permanent "Vigil Site" was needed. During the 2nd Vigil Reunion at Camp Fawcett several sites were placed around Maddox Mound, which proved effective but not permanent. 

Vigil Island  

Preparations for the 5th Vigil Reunion were beginning and past Lodge Chiefs, Dustin Foradory and 
Humberto "Beto" Torres Jr. were eager to establish a permeant location for the Vigils. After exploring Camp Fawcett    for many weeks and discussing possible locations a spot was found. Along the Nuecess River a "ceremony ring" and several "sites" were erected and called Vigil Island at Camp Fawcett. The week prior to the reunion both Dustin and Beto worked on laying out the "sites" and "ceremony ring" for Vigil Island. Both can remember working all day once in the rain in order to meet the deadline.

National Service Grant



The grant had been filed in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2013. 
The Texas Southwest Council, Wahinkto Lodge, headquartered in San Angelo, Texas, will be awarded $2,125 to renovate the OA Lodge Building at Camp Sol Mayer. 













Comments