What is the SW Portland tool lending library?
- Allows you to borrow tools at no cost other than a $20 yearly membership fee and a few volunteer hours or an equivalent dollar amount.
- This non-profit community supported organization is currently in the start up phase. It will complement the four tool libraries serving other parts of Portland.
What tools are available?
- We expect that our tool collection will grow to include:
- Gardening tools (wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, hoes, etc.
- Carpentry tools (drills, circular saws, hammers, tape measures, etc.)
- Screwdrivers, wrenches, socket sets, etc.
- Ladders, vacuums, brooms.
- Food preservation items.
- See all the tools by clicking on "Tool List" on the left.
What are the advantages of the tool lending library?
- It allows SW Portland residents to:
- Borrow common tools to maintain their homes economically.
- Sustain the environment by borrowing rather than buying tools they use only occasionally.
- Try out tools to make sure they will be useful before buying them.
- Borrow additional tools for big projects (e.g. an extra wheelbarrow, etc.).
- Share their skills with others.
- Build community by meeting and sharing tools with their neighbors.
Where is the SW Portland tool lending library?
- We are making the final arrangements to use a great building with easy access just off Barbur Blvd, (see picture above). We will provide the address on our website once the arrangements are finalized.
When is it open?
- We are working towards opening for the first time in the Fall of 2012.
- We expect to be open Saturdays from 9 am - 2 pm.
- The rental period is for one week with renewals available on most tools.
How do I get involved?
- By volunteering to staff this community resource for short shifts (no special tool knowledge needed).
- By donating unused or seldom used tools.
- By volunteering to sort through and organize the tools donated on a regular basis.
- To volunteer click on "Contact" on the left.