Makes 84 one-ounce servings
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for ramekin
- 6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts trimmed, torn into cubes
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked 2 to 3 minutes less than package directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 84 one-ounce ramekins. In a
small pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter; toss with bread
in a medium bowl.
Heat milk over medium heat until just steaming. Melt remaining
butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, stir in
flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in hot
milk, bring to a boil, and cook until thick enough to coat back of
Remove from heat. Stir in nutmeg, cayenne, 3 cups cheddar, 1 1/2 cups Gruyere, salt, and pepper. Stir in macaroni.
Pour into ramekins. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and breadcrumbs. Bake until browned, about 30 minutes.