Adapted from Tea Time - Lavender cream scones found here: http://www.teatimemagazine.com/lavender-cream-scones-recipe/
- 2 cups self-rising flour*
- ¼ cup sugar (I used Stevia Brand Sugar Substitute)
- ¼ cup cold salted butter
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped mint
- 1/2 cup + 2 T cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Confectioners’ Sugar Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh lavender flowers
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Turn oven on at 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add lavender and mint, stirring well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cream, egg, and vanilla extract, whisking well. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring to combine. Continue to bring dough together with hands. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 12 rounds from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones on prepared baking sheet. Using pastry brush, brush cream on top of scones.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 9-10 minutes. Remove scones to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Spread Confectioners’ Sugar Glaze over scones. See Below.
- Garnish with lavender flowers, if desired.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and milk, whisking until smooth and creamy.
- Use immediately.