2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup finely ground sweetened, shredded toasted coconut
¼ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp finely grated fresh lemon zest
¼ tsp coarse salt
6 T shortening, chilled and cut into pieces
1/3 cup plus 2 T coconut milk, divided
1 T heavy whipping cream
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
Prepared lemon curd
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
3. In medium bowl, combine flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and slat, whisking to combine.
4. Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly
5. Add 1/3 cup coconut milk, cream, and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are combined and soft dough forms.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ½ inch thickness. Using a 2 inch square cutter, cut 12 scones, rerolling scraps only once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 T coconut milk.
7. Bake until bottom edges are light golden brown, 12-16 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool slightly.