1/2 lb (1 cup) vegetable shortening
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
1 tsp anise extract
1. Whisk dry ingredients in large bowl.
2. Cut in shortening with pastry blender.
3. Make well in centre of dough mixture--put eggs in centre.
4. Beat eggs well and add anise.
5. With a fork, gradually mix in dough mixture to beaten eggs.
6. Mix well to form a ball, adding more flour to hands if needed.
7. Make small ball of dough, about 1 inch in diameter, roll into log shape, and braid.
8. Bake on lined cookie sheet in middle of oven for 15 minutes, or until edges are golden.
9. Cool on wire rack.