*Source: Food & Wine, created by Govind Armstrong
1 1/2 dozen glazed donuts, cut into sixths
1 quart (4 cups/1 litre) heavy cream (35% cream)
2 cups (500 mL) milk
10 large egg yolks
2 large whole eggs
1/2 cup (125 mL) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) brewed espresso
1. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread the doughnut pieces on baking sheets and bake for about 30 minutes, until dry on the outside and semi-firm in the center. Raise the oven temperature to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk 2 cups of the cream with the milk, egg yolks, whole eggs and condensed milk. Add the doughnut pieces and let soak until the pieces are softened, about 1 hour; stir every 15 minutes.
3. Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spoon the doughnut mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Set the dish in a roasting pan and add enough water to the pan to reach halfway up the side of the baking dish. Bake the bread pudding for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the bread pudding is set.
4. Preheat the broiler. Broil the bread pudding for about 3 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Let cool for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whip the remaining 2 cups of cream to semi-soft peaks. Stir in the espresso. Serve with the warm bread pudding.
1. I flavoured only half of the whipped cream with espresso, since some people really dislike the flavour. I left the other half pure, which also balances out the sweetness of the bread pudding. For the espresso portion, I used instant espresso mixed with boiling water.
2. The Krispy Kreme element of this dessert does offer a fun twist, but if you can't access Krispy Kreme donuts, I'm certain that any classic glazed donut would do the trick. Lucky for me I have a friend who works relatively close to a KK location!
3. By the time I was able to make the bread pudding, the donuts were on day 2, but I think this actually made them better able to soak up the cream mixture without falling apart. The crisping of the donuts in the oven also really helps.
4. I recommend topping the whipped cream with cinnamon--it's nothing short of delightful!
Good luck & enjoy!