Classic (One-Bowl) Chocolate Cupcakes
Yield: 12 standard cupcakes
3/4 cup (90 grams/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (150 grams/5 ounces) white sugar
1/4 cup (30 grams/1 ounce) dark cocoa powder (I use Cacao Barry Extra Brute)
3/4 teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
3/4 teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
3/4 teaspoon (2.5 grams) cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) salt
1/3 cup (70 mL) buttermilk
1/4 cup (60 mL) brewed coffee or espresso, hot
3 tablespoons (45 mL) vegetable oil
1 egg, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 mL) pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen-Massey)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line a muffin/cupcake pan with your favourite cupcake liners.
2. In the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, sift all dry ingredients.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to bowl with the dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed (you may need the plastic splashguard that comes with mixer) and pour into prepared cupcake pan until 2/3 full (or just less). I always use a 50mm cookie scoop for this step. *Batter will be liquidy, and cupcakes will rise.
4. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick or skewer comes out with a few crumbs. Try not to overbake. Carefully remove cupcakes from the pan immediately (it's hot!), and place them on a wire rack until completely cool.
Nutella Cloud Frosting
Yield: Enough to generously frost 12 cupcakes
1 cup unsalted butter (227 grams/8 ounces/2 sticks), softened, but cool
1 1/2 cups (190 grams/7 ounces) icing sugar (confectioners’ or powdered)
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen-Massey)
3/4 cup (125 grams/4 ounces) premium bittersweet chocolate (I use Callebaut Callets) chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1/3 cup (100 grams/3.5 ounces) Nutella
1 tablespoon (15 mL) milk
pinch of salt
1. In a bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine the icing sugar and butter and beat on low speed (I use #2 on my KitchenAid mixer) for about 1 minute.
2. Add vanilla, and beat on low speed until well combined. Add the melted and slightly cooled chocolate and beat on medium speed (I use #4 on my KitchenAid mixer) until smooth (about 2 minutes).
3. Add the Nutella, milk and pinch of salt, and beat on med-high speed for another minute.
4. Brace yourself.