School of Economics
Email: sungha.email (at) gmail.com
sunghah (at) sogang.ac.kr
My research interest in economics lies in public economics, behavioral economics, and evolutionary game theory. Specifically I have been working on the following topics: conflict theory, social preferences, optimal incentives for cooperation in public goods problems, and stochastic evolutionary game theory. My research area in mathematics includes probability theory and stochastic processes.
Publications & Forthcoming
- Conspicuous Consumption, Social Status Seeking, and Income Inequality, 2016, with Jungmin Lee, Forthcoming at Oxford Economic Papers
- Payoff dependent dynamics and coordination games, with Jonathan Newton, 2016, Forthcoming at Economic Theory
- Evolution of Altruistic Preferences among Boundedly Rational Agents, with Nayoung Kim, 2015, Korean Economic Review, 31 (2), 239-266.
- Optimal Incentives with State-dependent Preferences, with Samuel Bowles, 2014. Journal of Public Economic Theory, 16 (5), 681-705
- Deterministic Equations for Stochastic Spatial Evolutionary Games, with Markos Katsoulakis and Luc Rey-Bellet, 2013, Theoretical Economics, 8, 829-874
- Is Altruism Bad for Cooperation?, with Samuel Bowles, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 83, pp 330-341, 2012.
- Technology of Military Conflict, Military Spending, and War, Journal of Public Economics, 96, pp 226-236, 2012. (Previously circulated under the title "Contest Success Fuctions: Theory and Evidence".)
- Evolutionary Bargaining with Intentional Idiosyncratic Play, with Suresh Naidu and Samuel Bowles, Economics Letters, 109, pp. 31-33, 2010
- Strong Reciprocity and Team Production: Theory and Evidence, With Jeffery Carpenter, Samuel Bowles, and Herbert Gintis, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 71, 2, pp.221-232, 2009
- Social Preferences and Public Economics: Mechanism Design when Social Preferences Depend on Incentives, With Samuel Bowles, Journal of Public Economics, 92, 8-9, pp 1811-1820, 2008
- Social Conflict and the Evolution of Unequal Conventions, with Samuel Bowles and Suresh Naidu, 2016
- Positive Feedback in Coordination Games: Stochastic Evolutionary Dynamics and the Logit Choice Rule, 2016, with Luc Rey-Bellet.
- Conventional contracts, intentional behavior and logit choice:Equality without symmetry, 2016, with Wooyoung Lim, Philip Neary, and Jonathan Netwon.
- Incentives, Socialization, and Civic Preferences, 2014, Samuel Bowles, R&R, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
- Conflict Technology in Cooperatioon, 2014, (Previous title, Larger groups may alleviate collective action problems), R&R, Journal of Public Economic Theory.
- Class Alliances and Conflict: An Explanation of Political Transitions in Nineteenth-century Europe, 2015, R&R, Metroeconomica
- Strategic Decompositions of Normal Form Games: Potential Games and Zero-sum Games, 2014, with Luc Rey-Bellet
- Simple Characterisation of Potential Games and Zero-sum Games, 2015, with Luc Rey-Bellet.
- Tariff Diversity and FTA Network, 2015, with Jung Hur, Larry D. Qiu, and Jihwan Do.
- Analytic Political Economy Workshops, University of Norte Damme, April 2015.
- Econometric Society Asian Meeting, Taipei, June 2014
- Public Economic Theory 2013,
Lisbon, June 2013
- Games 2012, Istanbul, 22-26 July
- Public Economic Theory 2012,
Taipei, 12-14 June 2012
- Oberwolfach Seminar: The Ergodic Theory of Markov Processes (Stochastic Partial Differential Equations), 24-30 Oct 2010, Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach, Germany
- Eurocores Programme TECT (The Evolution of Cooperation and Trading), Final Conference, 15-17 Sept 2010, Collegium Budapest, Hungary.
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation in Science, 23-29 Nov 2009, Nordic Institute of Theoretical Physics, Stockholm, Sweden
- Agent-Based Complex Systems, 12-24 Oct 2009, Institute for Pure & Applied Mathematics, UCLA (present a poster)
- Eurocores Programme TECT, Cooperation Through the Ages: The Social and Psychological Dynamics of Cooperation and Punishment, 25-27 Apr 2008, Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
- Santa Fe Institute (July, 2015, July, 2014, Jul 2013, 2-11
Jul 2012, 26-31 Jul 2009, 14-28 Jul 2007)
(2015 F), UMASS (2014F), Sungkyunkwan Univ (2014S), Seoul National
Univ.(2012F), UINST (2012 F), University
of Sydney (2012F), University of New South Wales (2012F), Hallym University
(2012S), Korea Universit (2011F), University of Massachusetts (2011S).