School of Economics
Email: sungha.email (at) gmail.com
sunghah (at) sogang.ac.kr
My research interest in economics lies in public economics, behavioral economics, and evolutionary game theory. Specifically I have been working on the following topics: conflict theory, social preferences, optimal incentives for cooperation in public goods problems, and stochastic evolutionary game theory. My research area in mathematics includes probability theory and stochastic processes.
Publications & Forthcoming
- Optimal incentives with state-dependent preferences, with Samuel Bowles, 2014. Journal of Public Economic Theory, 16 (5), 681-705
- Deterministic Equations for Stochastic Spatial Evolutionary Games, with Markos Katsoulakis and Luc Rey-Bellet, 2013, Theoretical Economics, 8, 829-874
- Is Altruism Bad for Cooperation?, with Samuel Bowles, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 83, pp 330-341, 2012.
- Technology of Military Conflict, Military Spending, and War, Journal of Public Economics, 96, pp 226-236, 2012. (Previously circulated under the title "Contest Success Fuctions: Theory and Evidence".)
- Evolutionary Bargaining with Intentional Idiosyncratic Play, with Suresh Naidu and Samuel Bowles, Economics Letters, 109, pp. 31-33, 2010
- Strong Reciprocity and Team Production: Theory and Evidence, With Jeffery Carpenter, Samuel Bowles, and Herbert Gintis, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 71, 2, pp.221-232, 2009
- Social Preferences and Public Economics: Mechanism Design when Social Preferences Depend on Incentives, With Samuel Bowles, Journal of Public Economics, 92, 8-9, pp 1811-1820, 2008
- Strategic Decompositions of Normal Form Games: potential games and zero-sum games, 2014, with Luc Rey-Bellet, R&R, Theoretical Economics.
- New Tests for Potential Games and Zero-sum Equivalent Games, 2014, with Luc Rey-Bellet.
- Conspicuous Consumption, Social Status Seeking, and Income Inequality, 2014, with Jungmin Lee.
- Conflict Technology in Cooperatioon, 2014, (Previous title, Larger groups may alleviate collective action problems, Santa Fe Institute Working Paper Series, 09-08-035).
- Incentives, Socialization, and Civic Preferences, 2014, Samuel Bowles.
- Social Conflict and the Evolution of Unequal Conventions, with Samuel Bowles and Suresh Naidu, 2013
- A Classification of Bargaining Solutions by Evolutionary Origin, with Jonathan Newton, 2014
Conference Presentations and Participation
- Public Economic Theory 2013,
Lisbon, June 2012
- Games 2012, Istanbul, 22-26 July
- Public Economic Theory 2012,
Taipei, 12-14 June 2012
- Oberwolfach Seminar: The Ergodic Theory of Markov Processes (Stochastic Partial Differential Equations), 24-30 Oct 2010, Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach, Germany
- Eurocores Programme TECT (The Evolution of Cooperation and Trading), Final Conference, 15-17 Sept 2010, Collegium Budapest, Hungary.
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation in Science, 23-29 Nov 2009, Nordic Institute of Theoretical Physics, Stockholm, Sweden
- Agent-Based Complex Systems, 12-24 Oct 2009, Institute for Pure & Applied Mathematics, UCLA (present a poster)
- Eurocores Programme TECT, Cooperation Through the Ages: The Social and Psychological Dynamics of Cooperation and Punishment, 25-27 Apr 2008, Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
- Santa Fe Institute (Jul 2013, 2-11
Jul 2012, 26-31 Jul 2009, 14-28 Jul 2007), hosted by Samuel Bowles
of Sydney (2012F), University of New South Wales (2012F), Hallym University
(2012S), Korea Universit (2011F), University of Massachusetts (2011S).