These will make the Sun Board application much more useful for you:
Lock:On the top left, there is an image of a lock. Press this, it will lock the rotations. This should cover your last point.
Sun Dial:You may not be able to see all the lines on the dial in the first place. If not, then enable them in the SETTINGS menu. Press MENU then Settings and enable: Draw solstices, Draw hours's dial (second and third options)
- The Green arc is todays sunrise and sunset sun azimuths
- The Red arc is the sun's azimuth on the day of the summer solstice (it marks the winter solstice in the south hemisphere).
- The Magenta arc is the sun's azimuth on the day of the winter solstice (it marks the summer solstice in the south hemisphere).
- There are some small lines on the Green arc. Each line is one hour apart from the other and mark the sun's azimuth at the given time. The taller ones mark a three hour mark (9, 12, 15, 18, etc). One of the tall ones is marked red. This is 12 o'clock.
- The yellow line marks the current sun's position
- Finally, the orange dashed lines mark the suns position at the civil nautical and astronomical twilights, respectively. This corresponds to an elevation of -6, -12 and -18 degrees, and it actually tells you when it is dark outside. Also, if you are into photography, this shows you the golden hour of the day (or the magic hours as may call it)
Other stuff:In the main screen, press MENU then Legend. You will be given a list of terms and their definitions. Also links to wikipedia are provided.
Changes / FeaturesSun Board
is an Android Application that shows you the position of the sun on the horizon at sunrise and sunset. It includes various useful daylight statistics for your location.
- 16 Mar 2011, v1.10
- Removed Ads
- Added a dial showing the sun's position through the day
- Improved accuracy
- 04 Dec 2010, v1.8 Fix regression introduced in v1.7
- 03 Dec 2010, v1.7 Introduce new "Explorer mode"
- 03 Nov 2010, v1.6 Improve graphics and orientation responsiveness
- 19 Oct 2010, v1.5 Introduce rotating MapView feature and fixes for Southern Hemisphere users
- 01 Oct 2010, v1.4 Recommended update containing bug fixes. French translation done by "Kafeine", http://geostar.dontneedcoffee.com/
- 15 Sep 2010, v1.3 Add Legend, with links for the terms used. Show Geographic North instead of Magnetic.
- 06 Sep 2010, v1.2 Add option to set a custom date. Add option to lock the screen rotations.
- 26 Aug 2010, v1.1 with improved graphics and more calculations displayed.
- Don't forget to rate the app.
Possible uses of the Sun Board App are:
- Plan photo shoots
- Plan trips and hikes
- Position your flowers and plants on the sunny side
- Calibrate the orientation and inclination of solar panels, optimizing its performance
- Estimate exposure to sunlight
- Explain and teach daylight terms
- Position of the sun on the horizon at sunrise and sunset
- Time of sunrise, sunset and solar noon
- Position of the sun on the horizon at sunrise and sunset, on solstices
- Maximum Elevation of the sun from the horizon
- Duration of the day
- Specific to your current location and date
- Option to set a custom date
- Apps to SD for Froyo
Here is how it looks like:
Latest version is 1.10