The following are key historical events that took place in and around Summerton, S.C., in the 1900's:
- In 1902,
electricity came to Clarendon county. This was followed in 1911 by
the introduction of telephone service.
- Tom Johnson wrote
of Fallen Flags: Railroads of Clarendon County, S.C. 1886-1940".
These included the Alcolu Railroad, Paroda Railroad, and the Wilson
& Summerton Railroad. The line served as a link between the
Coast Line Railroad
and the Central
Railroad of South Carolina.
War I began on July 28, 1914, and finally ended on November
11, 1918. More than 70 million military personnel were mobilized and
over 9 million combatants and 7 million civilians died as a result of
- With the passage
of the Nineteenth
Amendment to the U.S.
Constitution in 1920, women across the
finally obtained the right to vote in elections. It
was the culmination of the women's suffrage movement in the U.S.,
which fought for decades to achieve the right to vote. However, South Carolina didn't officially ratify the 19th Amendment until July 1969.
- In July 1921, a tornado passed through the center of Summerton ripping the tops off seven houses and blowing down the walls of three brick stores in town.
- In 1922, the first school bus to be used in Summerton was built by members of the Davis Crossroad community.
- In 1926, a fire nearly destroyed the entire business district on Main Street in Summerton.
- In the 1930's, the Great Depression affected everyone in Summerton. The only bank in town, the Bank of Summerton, closed its doors in 1932 leaving nearly everyone destitute.
1930 census gives us a view of the living conditions in Clarendon
County. Of the 4,256 farms in the county, only 978 reported having automobiles
and only 46 (about 1.1%) had electricity. Telephones were found in 72
farms and 96 had piped water into their houses.
- In 1939, the Bank
of Clarendon was officially chartered by the state of South
Carolina. Prior to this, during the 'Great Depression', it was known
as the Clarendon Cash Depository.
- In November 1941,
Lake Marion was created by the construction of the Santee Dam. The
dam was built across the Santee River to supply hydroelectric power,
as part of the rural electrification efforts initiated under
President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New
Deal during the Great
- Lake Marion and
the Santee Dam were part of the Santee
Cooper Hydroelectric and Navigation Project. This project also
included the construction of the Pinopolis
Dam (also known as the Cooper River Dam) which created Lake
Moultrie. It also consisted of a diversion canal seven and a half
miles long that connected the two lakes.
- Santee National Wildlife Refuge was established on May 5, 1941 to alleviate the loss of
natural waterfowl and wildlife habitat caused by the construction of
hydro-electric projects on the Santee and Cooper Rivers.
- In 1951,
African American community
NAACP efforts to file a class action suit, Briggs
in U.S. District Court. They
local school board over the issue of unequal education opportunities
being provided for their children. It
was ultimately combined
with four other desegregation cases, collectively
known as Brown
before the U.S. Supreme Court.
in the 1954
landmark decision desegregating public schools across
the U.S. -
vs. Board of Education.
1964, the Civil Rights Act was passed by Congress officially ending
racial segregation across the U.S.
1965, integration of a few token black students into formerly
all-white Clarendon county schools began.
- In 1965, the Summerton Baptist
Church founded the Summerton Baptist Church School, now known as Clarendon Hall.
- In 1973, the
Clarendon County Area Vocational Center was built. In 2003, the
facility was renovated and substantially expanded and was officially
renamed the F.E. DuBose Campus of Central Carolina Technical
- In 1979, the weeklong Annual Striped Bass Festival was started in
Clarendon county. The county is home to the first population of
landlocked striped bass in the U.S.
- In 1989, Hurricane
Hugo hit South Carolina wreaked tremendous havoc across the
Clarendon county and many communities surrounding Lake Marion.
- In April 1995, the Clarendon Memorial Hospital opened an Emergency Medical Services (EMS) sub-station in Summerton.
If you would like to suggest
material or links to be added to this web site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org