Must have ingredients:
2 tablespoons lime juice
6 garlic cloves
6-10 fresh basil leaves
1 small white onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes (drained and crushed)
3 ears of corn
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
Optional Side Ingredients I added:
1 can black beans
1 can black eyed peas
1 can kidney beans
1 can mushrooms
1 can cannelloni beans
Other good add-in's
fresh cilantro (grocery store was out)
1) In a food processor, combine 5 of the garlic cloves, lime juice, and basil. Set to the side.
2) Lightly coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and add in chopped onion and 1 chopped garlic clove. Cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally.
3) Add in chicken stock, tomatoes, cumin, and beans. I had forgotten to drain and crush the tomatoes but it didn't matter at all. I ended up just crushing them in the soup mixture.
4) Cut the corn in thirds. This was really hard to do, and my muscles were not able to do it. So in comes my live-in muscle man (a.k.a. my boyfriend). We ended up only putting 1 of the corns in the soup and cooked the other two in the microwave separately. Bring liquid to a boil, then simmer for about 12-15 minutes.
5) At the very end, stir in the garlic/lime mixture.
6) Ladle into bowls and top with sliced avocado