1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour (very different from regular whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup wheat bran (I couldn't find this, so I used oat bran)
1 cup oatmeal (such as Quaker Old Fashioned Oats)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (yes, hand shredded not store bought)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp butter, room temperature (if not softer!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup golden raisins
17.6 oz container 2% plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp. cinnamon
(I also added some coconut flakes)
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2) In a small bowl, soak the raisins in 1/2 cup hot water.
3) Grate the carrots by hand.
4) In a bowl combine the eggs, applesauce, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix well.
5) Drain the raisins, and add to the wet mixture. Mix in the carrots.
6) In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, oat bran, oatmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
7) Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix throughout. The dough will be stickier than your normal cookie, but thick enough to form on a cookie sheet.
8) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (wax paper).
9) Drop a small amount of dough onto the sheet. I used a tablespoon, but you could even go smaller.
10) Bake for about 12-16 minutes.
11) In the meantime, mix the ingredients for the filling. Let sit in the fridge until all the cookies are done and have cooled.
12) Assemble the cookies: I tried it first with two cookies, and filling in the middle. This was almost too much. I liked it better with just one cookie and a dollop of filling on top.
13) If you aren't going to eat the "sandwiches" immediately, plan on laying the cookies on a platter and freezing them. Then just before eating the sandwiches, zap them in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds.
Recipe by: The Yellow Apron Experiment