Web 2010‎ > ‎

Minor Champ

Minor Football Championship Final 2010
St Joseph's        3   -   9
Dreadnots         1   -  11
St Joseph's are champions again having retained the Fr Larry Murray Cup for the Louth Minor Football Championship, sponsored by Anchor Tours, by overcoming Dreadnots by 3 - 9 to 1 - 11 in a highly exciting game at Drogheda. The holders got the better start and they were 1 - 2 to 0-1 ahead after ten minutes when facing the light wind. Dreadnots played some excellent football for the next forty minutes outscoring the Joes by 1 - 8 to 1 - 2  but they were outgunned by 1 - 5 to 0 - 2 in the final ten minutes. 


The skillful football and the combination play of the Dreadnots was a joy to behold, they did have a slow start but they did contribute hugely to this exciting contest with excelent play and score taking but they leaked three goals all at vital stages and untipicaly for them they managed just one of their own. They got four points ahead of the Joes in the first half but Lorcan Doyle's goal on the stroke of half time left them just a point ahead.  Three points was to be their biggest lead in the second half when Anthony Williams, Peter Kirwan and Conor Campbell scored in three minutes. They needed a second goal but it wasn't to come due to resolute Joes defending and when Robert Sansom goaled with eight minutes to go following a quickly taken free it signalled a late rally by the title holdes, Conall Smyth added a point and man of the match Lorcan Doyle scored the final three points, two of them set up by captain Alan Lynch and St Joseph's were champions again.


St Joseph's are worthy champions but this wasn't an easy win, their defence can take credit for marshalling a strong Dreadnots forward division and conceding just one goal, their mid field of Daire McKiernan and Robert Sansom played second fiddle for a long period but Daire finished well and Robert got a crucial goal. Conor Murphy was a huge loss to Dreadnots but their half back line was generally on top throughout. The St Joseph's full forward line was their strongest but still they were limited to 1 - 5 by an under pressure Dredanots full line of defence.


Alan Lynch can be very pleased with his performance, he was kept quiet for periods but he made critical contributions, Sean McQuillan, Ciaran O'Hare and Liam O'Leary were huge in defence and Conall Smyth and Alan Quigley were always difficult to handle and strong on the ball in attack. 


Dermot Campbell at full back is a fine footballer, Anthony Lynch and Dylan Kirwan did well at wing half back, Cian McEvoy and Glen Darling were a strong mid field combination, Conor Campbell and Ciaran Cunningham took on nthe defence with some success and Peter Kirwan despite close marking was always a handful for the defence.


St Joseph's; Shane McQuillan, Chris Brennan, Ciaran O' Hare, Philip Brenna, Liam O'Leary, Sean McQuillan, Darragh Smith, Daire McKiernan, Robert Sansom 1 - 0, Jack McNamee 0 - 2, Alan Lynch 1 - 2 (1F), John McKenna, Alan Quigley, Conall Smyth, 0- 2 Lorcan Doyle 1 - 3. Substitutes; Ian McDonald for John McKenna, Jack Mulligan for Jack McNamee.


Dreadnots; Sean Kelleher, John nKirk, Dermot Campbell, James Kirk, Dylan Kirwan, Anthony Williams 0- 1, Anthony Lynch, Cian McEvoy, Glen Darling, Barry Faulkner 0 - 1,  Conor Campbell 0 - 3, Ronan Fitzpatrick, Peter Kirwan 1- 2 (1F), Ciaran Cunningham 0 - 2 (2F), Ronan Califf 0 - 1.


Referee; David Feddigan, Hunterstown Rovers.
Minor "B" Football Championship Final
St Fechin's         3  -  11
St Patrick's         0  -  8

St Fechins minors won their first ever Minor Football Championship as a sole club. It is the Minor "B" Championship final in which they defeated St Patrick's by 3 - 11 to 0 - 8 on Wednesday 29th September.


They made history  in Darver on a calm cool Friday evening as they claimed their first ever minor championship title as a stand alone club. This was the first ever Fechins team to play minor alone after a decision was made in 2005 to end the St. Brigids amalgamation.

The game started at a hectic pace and as expected in a final, there was early jitters with wides at both ends. St. Patricks eventually opened the tie with a pointed free before the first goal of the game. A Jamie King point attempt clipped the very top of the left upright and fell to Hugh Carolan who caught the ball and despatched it to the net. This was a major boost for the Termonfeckin men who then took the iniative. Persistent fouling in the Lordship defence allowed midfielder Ryan Sheridan to add to the Green and Whites tally with some well taken frees. During this period another high ball to the square was won and pushed out to Carolan, but this time from further out the 'keeper was equal to the task and got down well to make the save. St. Fechins were putting the favourites under huge pressure at this stage and went another step closer to the title when they found the net again. Ryan Sheridan sent a low fizzing ball towards the corner of the on-form Carolan but the bounce on the wet ground deceived him and went skidding past. Great pace from Eoghan Duffy allowed him to retrieve the ball and play it back to the now goalbound Carolan who cut inside, beat his man and blasted the ball into the top left hand corner. Sheridan hit more points from play and from placed balls as well as Duffy, as the stunned Pat's, who had beaten the opposition earlier in the season, looked to have no answers. They kicked two late points at the end of the half as the half-time score read 2-5 to 0-3.
The second half was a much closer affair but still played at high intensity as St. Patricks put up a much better fight than that shown in the first half. Points were traded throughout the half, with Jamie King, Eoghan Duffy and the ever accurate Sheridan on target for the Fechins men. The margin failed to waiver much from the 8 point mark until the final 10 minutes of the game when the Fechins sealed the win with another well taken major. A long ball in was won by corner forward Jamie King who turned his man before rifling the ball into the bottom corner. Both sides scored a point each in the final 10 minutes, as St. Pats looked for a goal to revive the game but were stopped short every time by Niall Mc Cabe and co.As the match drew to a close the Termonfeckin side emptied the subs bench. Noel Hand's final whistle was met with jubliant scenes as the Fechins dealt the first blow in a 2 round bout against the Pats, who will look to avenge this defeat in the League final to be played soon.
The Championship trophy was presented to captain Dermot Mc Connell by fellow Fechin's man and Louth Development Officer, Tom Flynn.
Best for the Fechins were Ryan Sheridan, Dermot Mc Connell, Niall Mc Cabe, Hugh Carolan and Eoghan Duffy
St. Fechins: Keith Mc Carthy, Eoin Moore, Niall Mc Cabe, Barry Plunkett, Paddy Winters(Michael Flanagan 50), Donal Ryan, Robert Flynn(David Stephenson 55), Dermot Mc Connell, Ryan Sheridan, Leo Mc Grane(Colum Butterly 50), Conor Nolan(James Griffin 45), Eoghan Duffy, Jamie King, Hugh Carolan, Adam Sheridan(Harry Mc Carthy 55).Subs not used: Kevin Mc Cabe, Kevin Mc Cleery, Conor Mc Geough.
Scorers: R. Sheridan 0-7 (0-4f, 0-1 '45'), H. Carolan 2-0, J. King 1-1, E. Duffy 0-3



Minor "C" Championship Final 2010


Mellifont Rovers                  1   -  12  

Kilkerley/Naomh Malachi     0  -   7
Mellifont took the honors in this hard fought final played under lights in Darver. Both teams took some time to settle into the game but Mellifont with their possession football and quick moving of the ball created more scoring opportunities which their forwards converted.


There was some good football played in this period but it was Mellifont who went in a half time leading by four points. The result of the game was effectively sealed early in the second period when Mellifont scored 1-3 without reply. The goal came about from a very good move involving a number of the forwards and when the ball was delivered to Tony McKenna who was running from midfield, hit an unstoppable shot to the Kilkerley/Naomh Malachi net.


The game lost some of its intensity after this but both teams kept playing good football. This was a very good all round performance by every Mellifont player and when the cup was presented to the joint captains of Michael McKeown & Tony McKenna it was accepted on behalf of the team who worked very hard all year to achieve the result.
Scores              Tony McKenna                      1-2
Conor Lenighnan                  0-3
Michael McKeown                 0-2
Conor Finn                            0-2
Shane Maguire                      0-1
Shane Matthews                    0-1
Mark Cunningham                0-1
Best for Mellifont. Brian Corconan, Stewart Callan, Tony McKenna, Terry Donegan, Michael McKeown, Conor Lenighnan