3-4 shalgam (turnip)
1 medium onion- chopped
2 tomatoes- chopped
3-4 cloves garlic- chopped
1 inch piece ginger- chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp oil
1. Wash and peel shalgam. Chop them into thick cubes.
2. Place shalgam in a pressure cooker along with 1/2 cup of water. Cook to 2 whistles.
3. Strain and discard the liquid. Mash shalgam roughly.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they change color, add hing.
5. Add onion and sauté till light brown. Add ginger and garlic. Fry for 1 minute.
6. Add tomatoes and salt and all the spices. Cook till tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
7. Add shalgam and mix well. Cook covered on a low heat for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve hot shalgam ka bharta with rotis.