What says summer more then peach pie?
This is by far my favorite kind of pie, ok, maybe along with berry pie. The flaky crust combined with delicious peaches with a hint of cinnamon is incredible. Don't be surprised if you reach for that second slice.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 16 tablespoons cold (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar; pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with just a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with fingers (if necessary, add up to 1/4 cup more water, 1 tablespoon at a time). To help ensure a flaky crust, do not overprocess.
- Transfer half of dough (still crumbly) onto a piece of plastic wrap. Form dough into a disk 3/4 inch thick; wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (and up to 3 days). Repeat with remaining dough. (Disks can be frozen, tightly wrapped, up to 3 months. Thaw before using.) Makes 2 disks.
- 1 recipe (2 disks) Basic Pie Dough
- 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (depending on the sweetness of the peaches)
- 4 TB of flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg
- dash salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 6 cups of fresh peaches (peeled and sliced)
- 2 TB of butter (cubed)
- Egg wash made with 1 yolk and 2 TB of water
- sanding sugar
- Lightly flour a large piece of waxed paper; place a disk of dough in center. Rolling from center outward, form into a 12-inch circle. (Use paper to rotate dough, and flour rolling pin and paper as necessary to prevent sticking.) Transfer dough (still on paper) to the pie dish.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine sugar, flour spice and salt. Add to the sliced peaches, mix lightly. Add the peaces to the pie dish with shell.
- Add a top crust, crimp the edges, cut slits on the top crust. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 20 then reduce the heat to 375 and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling and crust is nicely browned.
- Cool completely before serving.