I decided to make a spring themed cake for the family, and what better cake then a delicious coconut cake. I used shaved chocolate and toasted coconut for a birds nestled with some cadbury eggs. The kids thought it was the best thing ever.
3 c. cake flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. veg oil
1 c. half-and-half
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure coconut extract
1 large egg plus 2 large egg whites
coconut frosting (recipe below)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease three 8-inch cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper rounds.
2)You need three bowls to make the batter
3) In the first medium sized bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4) In the 2nd bowl (or large measuring cup) whisk together oil, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, coconut extract, and whole egg until smooth. Set aside.
5) In the third bowl, beat 2 egg whites until stiff peaks appear.
6) Combine the flour mixture with the liquid ingredients. Stir until combined. Fold in the egg whites, gently stir until combined.
7) Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then invert onto racks to cool completely.
8) Place one layer on a cake plate and frost top with 1 cup Coconut Buttercream. Repeat two more times. Frost sides with remaining Coconut Buttercream.
9) optional: Arrange chocolate shavings and toasted coconut into a nest and nestle with egg candy.
1 c. unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 c. cream of coconut
6 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
gel food coloring
1) Beat butter and cream of coconut with an electric mixture on medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
2) Gradually beat in sugar.
3) Beat in pure vanilla extract and a pinch of kosher salt until combined.
4) optional ** Beat in blue gel food coloring, one drop at a time, to desired color.