History of St. Paul

                Since 1955, when 110 people attended the first service in the VFW Hall in Nevada, St. Paul has become the church home for many individuals and families in the Vernon County area.  After Christmas service in 1955, the members voted to purchase land on South Clay and on January 25, 1956, twenty men gathered and cleared the oak grove away for the building site.  Members worked many hours on the plans for a building and on the building itself.  On July 28, 1957 the church on South Clay was dedicated and the service was broadcast on KNEM. 

                St. Paul continued to thrive.  The Ladies Aid gained permission to raise money for a new organ.  Youth activities, Confirmation classes, marriages and funerals, meetings, Sunday School lessons, and potluck dinners filled the calendars of the members.  More activities required more space and in 1969, the congregation made plans for an addition to the church building and finally broke ground for that addition in 1977, an addition that also made possible the annual Salad Luncheons that have been attended by so many in the community.

                Several pastors have served St. Paul and at one point the congregation was without a pastor for almost two years.  For fourteen years Pastor Richmond Anderson drove each Sunday from Kansas City without regard to weather. 

                In 1998, the idea for a new church stirred discussion.  Plans were made and pledges were secured.  After several setbacks, groundbreaking took place on July 8, 2001.  On June 2, 2002, the service began at 1030 S. Clay.  With members carrying hymnals and other furnishings to the new church, the service continued to the new sanctuary in our current church home on South BB Highway. 

                Throughout the years, God has richly blessed St. Paul.  We, in turn, hope to be a blessing to those who enter our doors.  You are always welcome at St. Paul. 



Comments