Design‎ > ‎

History

St Paul's was built in 1878 to designs drawn up by Sir George Gilbert-Scott, known also for designing the Midland hotel at St Pancras railway station; St Paul's was his last design for a combination of church, vicarage and school.

He was a member of the Spalding Gentleman's Society which was founded in Ayscoughfee Hall in the early 18th century.  Sir George's son, John Oldrid, finished the build and his grandson, Giles, went on to design further churches including Liverpool cathedral - as well as the iconic K2 red telephone kiosk.

Sir George Gilbert-Scott (1811-1878) has been described as the most influential architect of his time.  St Paul’s was modern by the ecclesiastical standards of the time. Further links via the Victorian Web; articles: Simon Jenkins, The Guardian 8 July 2011.
 
The church building was financed by Miss Charlotte Charinton, local benefactress.  She was born in Fleet Fen in 1801, second daughter of Thomas Charinton, a farmer of 230 acres and a feoffee of the Gledney Hill charity.  She became heir to the whole of her father’s estate in 1856, then moving to 11 Welland Place on London Road and living frugally and unostentatiously.

Miss Charinton gave generously to many individuals and public works, particularly churches including Gledney Hill, St Polycarps mission chapel at Holbeach Drove (tbc) [St John], to Cowbit church and to church schools in Fleet and Holbeach.  She provided £30,000 for the building of St Paul’s, its vicarage and school room as well as contributing to the restoration of St Mary’s & St Nicolas, Spalding and the chancel of St Peter’s church in Priory Road.  Miss Charinton laid the foundation stone on 18 October 1877, St Luke’s Day, with the Bishop of Lincoln Revd Christopher Wordsworth.

This foundation stone reads: Ad Gloriam Deo 1877 Nomine St Paul - 'to God's glory'.

The service of the Feast of Dedication was on 27 October 1880. The third bell is inscribed with her name.


Notes abridged and adapted from the booklet 'St Paul's Church, Spalding, Through the Ages' written by Lisa Tyrrell; picture shows the setting before the 1953 Coronation channel was constructed.
Comments