Design‎ > ‎

Clock

St Paul's clock was designed and built by Potts of Leeds.
The inscription reads: "Made by W. Potts & Sons of Leeds for John Preston, Spalding, 1885".

The receipt pictured (right) notes the sum of £142 7s 3d [£142.36] for the new eight day striking turret clock - including fixing mason's work on 12 November 1885.  Repairs to the weather vane cost £7 9s 6d [£7.47½]
 
The clock originally faced the town of Spalding from the church's position in Fulney, being later moved to face south over the road and doorway.

The transfer rods and gears can be seen on the left of this picture.

The inscription on the casing reads 'Dial re-fixed on south side from west side by S Clarkson and B Scarborough'.


When working, the clock is wound by hand each week and the clock strikes the hour.  The red striker is visible in the picture on the left. See also the Bells page.

These inscriptions on the wall behind the clock mechanism in the belfry note the day the clock first turned; it reads '1885  This clock started going Oct 7th 1885'...
... and when the dial was moved. 
Comments