For Caramel...

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

For Custard...

3 cups WHOLE milk

3/4 cups sugar, divided

4 large eggs, plus 3 egg yolks

1/4 tsp fine sea salt

1 tsp. good vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put eight 4oz. ramekins in a roasting pan. Put a large pot of water ( or a full tea kettle) on the back burner of the stove and bring to a simmer.

Place a small bowl of cold water with a brush next to the stove. Also, make an ice bath in large bowl.

Add sugar and water to a small saucepan. Gently swirl till the water absorbs into the sugar.Do not stir during this process.  Cook over a medium high heat until the sugar melts and the caramel is a medium-dark amber color, about 8 minutes.  While the sugar is cooking, brush the inside of the pan with water if any crystals appear on the sides of the pan.

When the caramel is ready, pour it into the bottom of the eight ramekins. Move quickly... it hardens fast!

Swirl each ramekin and distribute the caramel evenly around the bottom of it. Put back into the the roster.

In a medium sized saucepan add the milk and half the sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it is steaming and  almost ready to simmer. DO NOT BOIL.

While the milk is cooking, whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl. Add the remaining sugar and salt.

Whisk well.

When the milk is ready, add it 1/2 cup at a time to the eggs, whisking vigorously. Continue to add milk 1/2 cup at a time until you have added 2 cups. Whisk and add the remaining milk. Whisk.

Strain the custard through a fine sieve into another bowl or 8 cup measuring cup.  Add the vanilla, whisk.

Pour the custard evenly into the eight ramekins.

Carefully place the roaster in the oven and pour in the water (at the side of the roaster) till the water covers the bottom half of the ramekins.

Bake custard until just set, about 40 minutes. The centers will be able to shake.

Take out of oven. Using tongs remove each custard cup and put them on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes. 

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. They can be made up to two days ahead.

To serve... run a knife around the custard, put a plate over the ramekin and turn upside-down.

If your flan will not release, put a warm wet cloth, like a compress, on the bottom of the ramekin until it comes free.

Spoon 1 TBS of Kahula over each flan.