Historic photos

A brief  history

Bottineau County Bank – the county’s first bank – was founded in 1887, two years before N.D. statehood.

The bank prospered, and in July 1900 the original two-story, wood-frame building was moved to make room for the more impressive structure that we now call the Stone Bank.

Using stone carried to North Dakota by glaciers, local stone masons did something simply amazing in the second half of 1900.

 Without power tools, the masons shaped the bank’s stones by hand, working through the heat of summer and a cold fall, when temperatures reached 20 below, to finish the sturdy, beautiful building in less than six months.

On Dec. 21, 1900, the Bottineau News reported that the bank’s staff had moved into “one of the nicest buildings in the county.”

Classified as Richardsonian Romanesque in style, the Stone Bank has borne witness to prosperity and hard times, much like the settlers of Bottineau County.

         Unfortunately, aggressive lending practices and a crop failure led to the bank’s insolvency. It closed suddenly Sept. 20, 1923, and never reopened. It was in receivership until the 1940s.

A 20-foot extension was added to the building sometime in the 1930s. Over the years, the building housed Dr. Fred McCullough's dental office, the Bottineau Clinic and even a fabric store. For 50 years, it housed a lawyer’s office.

Now, the Stone Bank is being restored to shine again on Bottineau’s Main Street as a tangible link to Bottineau’s pioneer heritage and a charming cornerstone for the city’s ongoing progress. 



                                                                                                                     

Bottineau County Bank

The bank's first building was a two-story wood-frame structure at the corner of Sixth and Main streets. 

Photo from the Bottineau city auditor's archive
The Stone Bank is the one-story building on the left side of the street with the arched windows. The wood-frame building was moved in July 1900 to make way for the stone bank. Note the unpaved street and the horse-and-buggy riders in this undated photo. 
From the July 13, 1900, Bottineau News

 
Do you have pictures of the Stone Bank?
 We'd love to see them. 
Send a jpg or scan to Touchstones.Inc@gmail.com. 
                                                                                                                           
 Preservation ROCKS! 
Comments