Sites‎ > ‎

Friesack


The sites Friesack 4 and Friesack 27a are located in the Warsaw-Berlin ice margin valley in Brandenburg (Germany).

Friesack 4 was discovered by the amateur archaeologist Max Schneider in the 1930s and later Hans Reinerth excavated nearly 200 m² in 1940. In the early 1970s new cultivation plans of the vicinity of the site lead to another excavation by Bernhard Gramsch for salvage excavations from 1977 to 1989. In this regard the site Friesack 27a was discaovered where 38m² were excavated in 1981, 1984 and 1989.

Due to good preservation several finds such as artefacts of bone, antler, wood, pitch, ropes and nets made from bast as well as lithics have been excavated. By palynological and radiocarbon analyses they are dated to the Preboreal and Boreal (Friesack 4; Friesack 27a) as well as the Atlantic (Friesack 4).

A close relation between artefacts and sandy layers, which are interjected into the peat, suggest anthropogenic influence on the formation of these. Hence the human presence on the spots caused the aeolian and fluviatile sand transport into the former lakes.

In more recent times amelioration processes caused a relevant peat degradation and thus an endangered conservation of organic artefacts from the Mesolithic.


View from site Friesack 27a to Friesack 4 which is located at the small hill with the close standing trees (right to the center of the image).

Comments